FIRST BARRED ROCK EGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm curious to know if your barred rock got really mean right before she started to lay? Mine is 21 weeks and so mean to my other girls.
Seems a little odd, I have four right now in my mixed flock of 15 and they are the friendliest and most curious. Also the first four of the 15 to start laying. Small eggs but they are getting bigger

Seems a little odd, I have four right now in my mixed flock of 15 and they are the friendliest and most curious. Also the first four of the 15 to start laying. Small eggs but they are getting bigger
Hmmm...that's actually why we got them bc we heard the same thing. I do know that the person we got them from had 4 cramped in a very small run. They are huge and I have no idea how they dust bathed or anything in that coop and run. Anyways we have provided them with so so so much more room and lots of dust and a good life I think...but they are mean, esp the more mature one.

Hmmm...that's actually why we got them bc we heard the same thing. I do know that the person we got them from had 4 cramped in a very small run. They are huge and I have no idea how they dust bathed or anything in that coop and run. Anyways we have provided them with so so so much more room and lots of dust and a good life I think...but they are mean, esp the more mature one.
How old were they when you got them? That's more than likely your issue. They were cramped and not spent time with.
Keep handfeeding them and spend some time with them. They should turn back around for you. BR's really are a friendly breed comparable to Black Australorps. That's surprising that they got mean, but who knows what was happening.

I have one barred rock in my flock. she's about 21 weeks and not laying yet and man is she mean to me! She pecks my hands anytime Im low to the ground haha. she doesn't bully the other birds but is definitely not happy with my hands being near her. I have found with my 2 pullets who started laying (different breeds) they got nicer/friendlier and less flighty once they got really close to laying.

I have one barred rock in my flock. she's about 21 weeks and not laying yet and man is she mean to me! She pecks my hands anytime Im low to the ground haha. she doesn't bully the other birds but is definitely not happy with my hands being near her. I have found with my 2 pullets who started laying (different breeds) they got nicer/friendlier and less flighty once they got really close to laying.
My Barred Rocks are jerks. They don't pick on the other birds too much, but they are so rude when it comes to getting into their preferred roosting spots. I watch one of them on the camera pecking at my Australorps toes and pecking and pulling at her waddles, and I just want to go in there and knock her upside down. LOL.

My Barred Rocks are jerks. They don't pick on the other birds too much, but they are so rude when it comes to getting into their preferred roosting spots. I watch one of them on the camera pecking at my Australorps toes and pecking and pulling at her waddles, and I just want to go in there and knock her upside down. LOL.
I think there’s the “norm” for many breeds but they definitely don’t always fit the mold. My buff Orphington is supposed to be a lap chicken but I haven’t been able to get near her since she was a chick. She wants nothing to do with people. Meanwhile my Rhode Island Red is the sweetest one of the bunch.

This was scaring me when I saw them with my Easter eggers on the roost.

Back
Top Bottom