First breeding season question

No worries , no offense taken and your correct mother nature is possible of anything however very unlikely at 10 months that their reproductive organs have even advanced enough to produce a egg fertile or not , this is just one of mother natures natural defenses that safe guards the survival of most species, and the egg in question from the looks of it is more likely to be a goose egg  or it is possible that his peacock has mated with his turkeys and thats what he got a cross between the two which makes a very beautiful turkey. This I would find more likey then the other however anything is possible.

In all my years raising fowl, I have yet to see an actual turkey crossed with a peafowl, I have never even seen a picture of one that has not been photo shopped. The only thing I have ever witnessed a turkey crossed too, is another Turkey. I place the infamous turkey/peafowl hybrid in the same category as the rabbit/cat hybrid aka cabbit. Peas have been known to hybrid with guineas but this is extremely rare. Having said all of that, here is a pic of some eggs I just pulled from setting birds. We have a green hen that lays bleach white eggs, they are odd but hatch into gorgeous green peafowl. Hers is the egg marked abnormal, the egg in question above does indeed look like a smaller goose breed type and I put a Canada goose egg in there for comparison but, do not count the pea egg out of the equation.

Gerald Barker

I appreciate your help! Great pics to compare, this is my first breeding season and so far its terrible and Im disturbed my pea hen is doing so poorly with this her third egg now and the condition of the egg being still soft over 2hrs now, I suppose I will scramble it with about dozen chicken eggs shells n all and hope it starts to work, its worth a dozen eggs a morning for a week or two if thats what it takes Im all for it. Im guessing I will know when her eggs start coming out normal,??? Do you have a suggested feed to use to help ?

The abnormal egg you have? , Is it the color that makes it abnormal or are there other markers and is the egg no good and unfertile? Are you able to still hatch these eggs or do you pitch them as the pea chicks could be disformed or other defects?

The abnormal egg you have?  , Is it the color that makes it abnormal or are there other markers and is the egg no good and unfertile?  Are you able to still hatch these eggs or do you pitch them as the pea chicks could be disformed or other defects?

Its only abnormal in my definition shall I say, pea eggs both Green and IB are normally large and creme to light tan in color or tainted if you will. By all accounts we have not had an issue hatching the white ones, it does however make it easier to identify which hen is laying,
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Gerald Barker

I've had funny shaped eggs from my one White peahen. It was her first season and her eggs started going to a normal peahen egg. The hen with droopy wings is my White hen about to lay an egg. This is a normal laying stance.

These are her eggs.

These are eggs from my Black Shoulder, Spalding, and the 2 White hens. The one White hen started laying normal eggs after her first few eggs.

Unfortunately they were no good.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the help ! Her egg she dropped is dented and still soft after almost two hrs so Im guessing its not going to hatch out regardless so not sure what to do with it cept throw it away I suppose....bummer ! This is her third egg now , two days in a row she dropped and she looks like a wreck and very weak ? You mentioned left over egg shells to feed them or is their a feed anyone is using to suggest, I will make a special trip to tractor supply to get it right away

You can also give her calcium glutenate for a quick boost.

Its only abnormal in my definition shall I say, pea eggs both Green and IB are normally large and creme to light tan in color or tainted if you will. By all accounts we have not had an issue hatching the white ones, it does however make it easier to identify which hen is laying,
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Gerald Barker

I guess I should have said that my pea's are Spalding peas. Also since it was a double yolk I think that could account for the larger size.
I thank all of you for your comments as I was quite shocked that the egg was from a peahen's that was so young.
I am absolutely a novice and will always take someone's advice that has the knowledge that I aspire to have.

You can also give her calcium glutenate for a quick boost.

I dont know enough about this yet, what form does this calcium glutenate come in and is it easy to buy someplace? The quicker the better as a second pea hen ( Princess) out of 4 will lay her first tonight or by morning and she is acting weak just as the other was acting, which she( Mo) is doing a lot better then before. I scrambled 18 eggs up with shells and at first they wouldnt eat it so I went and got some feed with calcium and nutrients added to it buts in a powder crushed form but they are eating it and also eating the scrambled eggs w shells. I was thinking of scrambling more eggs and adding the crushed feed with the calcium in it, but if this calcium glutenate can be found in the grocery store then I will go get it now?

I dont know enough about this yet, what form does this calcium glutenate come in and is it easy to buy someplace? The quicker the better as a second pea hen ( Princess) out of 4 will lay her first tonight or by morning and she is acting weak just as the other was acting, which she( Mo) is doing a lot better then before. I scrambled 18 eggs up with shells and at first they wouldnt eat it so I went and got some feed with calcium and nutrients added to it buts in a powder crushed form but they are eating it and also eating the scrambled eggs w shells. I was thinking of scrambling more eggs and adding the crushed feed with the calcium in it, but if this calcium glutenate can be found in the grocery store then I will go get it now?

Start here; https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1103109/calcium-gluconate

Back
Top Bottom