First butcher over (pics-graphic)

Wegs813

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
SE Minnesota
Yesterday was our first butcher...we had 8 cornish X. I was initially going to take them to a processor, but when I called the processor they only do chickens on Wed and they were booked. Me being inpatient and wanthing to get them done, decided to do it myself (with the help of my husband).
My husband made me a killing cone after seeing it on here and things went very smoothly. The plucking was no where near the work that I was expecting...I would not say it was easy, but it was by no means hard. All birds were 9 weeks and 3 days old. They are currently in a cooler resting and I can't wait to try one.
I had soo much fun with these birds that I am planning to do a larger batch of them, either this fall or next spring.
Here are a few pics...
56528_chick_1.jpg

56528_chick_2.jpg

Look at the one on the left....that was one of the roosters and he was HUGE! I don't have weights yet, but will post when I get them.

56528_chick_3.jpg

Quote:
We tried to keep the water right around 150 degrees. I just dunked the chicken and swished it around a couple of times. I also did put some dishwashing detergent in the water....read on here that it helps penetrate the feathers!

Weighed our birds when we packaged them...they ranged from 4.8 to 7.8 lbs. We have cooked two of them...one on the grill and one in an oven bag in the oven....they were both AWESOME!!!!

Wow, those look perfect! So how long would you say it takes to dress one chicken? I'd love to try that, but my hubby says I won't be able to handle it......

Quote:
It took us about 2 hours to do 8 birds. My husband did not think I would make it through either, but I proved him wrong
tongue.png

I probably would not have been able to do it without him...he did the gutting. Not that I couldn't stomach gutting, but I have never had anyone show me what needs to be done!

Back
Top Bottom