1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First chick hatched from possible black Sumatra roo and my Partridge Orpington hen **PHOTOS!**

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by chickenlittle91, Dec 16, 2016.

1. chickenlittle91

chickenlittle91 New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-with-patridge-orpington-outcome-in-color-etc

^Original (and my very first post) post about my Partridge Orpington and neighbors random black rooster making chicks. ;)

Our Partridge Orpington's first egg hatched this morning(out of 2)! When I initially posted, wondering what coloring these two breeds would produce the general consensus was that black rooster = black chicks, possibly with a bit of gold leakage. The first chick hatched, and it has a LOT of yellow in it. I was totally expected an all black one! I've attached photos. **FYI all the other eggs you see are Silkie eggs I put under Miss Broody. :) Will this yellow stay yellow, or will it become "gold" like mom? Totally wasn't expecting this coloring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    A lot of black chicks hatch with white/yellow bellies like that. They'll likely be black with leakage, as was said in the other thread.

3. chickenlittle91

chickenlittle91 New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    Interesting! You learn something new everyday... :) Thanks.

4. BirdGirl2004

BirdGirl2004 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2016
    SO CUTE!! Happy for you guys!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by