First Ever Hatch Along! - Maran Mixes

MommaBison

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
My first chick started pipping last night around 8:30pm, at about 7am this morning I heard the peeping of the first baby! This is my first hatch, quite a compulsive decision. We had to cull our rooster after he tried attacking me, but I didn't want to miss trying for some olive eggers! I was planning to wait for spring, but he had a bad leg (didn't seem to bother him), as it got colder he got grumpier, then the event happened. I blame the leg, as I know Black Copper Marans are usually good tempered! He was a Majestic Maran from Tractor Supply this spring, so mixed with a Barred Rock to create an auto-sexing Maran.

Here's our first little one! Came from a speckled brown egg, I'm unsure of his mother. I'm guessing one of my barnyard mixes. All my mixes are sired by a Bielefelder.
PXL_20231204_131245289.jpg

The blue eggs are from Cream Legbars, and all the browns are from either the barnyard mixes (all from a Bielefelder sire) or from my pure buff or lavender Orpingtons.

One of the babies (smallest egg) is pipping at the wrong end of the end, I'm a touch concerned. My 5 year old was very concerned about the chick "not hav[ing] enough room" and opened the incubator. 😩 Now I'm concerned about the three that had started pipping potentially being suctioned. The humidity is still in the 70s and I've seen some movement since...but not sure what to think. Some of the eggs are just a rocking around, it's fun to watch. I can't wait to see what all these babies look like!

My first chick started pipping last night around 8:30pm, at about 7am this morning I heard the peeping of the first baby! This is my first hatch, quite a compulsive decision. We had to cull our rooster after he tried attacking me, but I didn't want to miss trying for some olive eggers! I was planning to wait for spring, but he had a bad leg (didn't seem to bother him), as it got colder he got grumpier, then the event happened. I blame the leg, as I know Black Copper Marans are usually good tempered! He was a Majestic Maran from Tractor Supply this spring, so mixed with a Barred Rock to create an auto-sexing Maran.

Here's our first little one! Came from a speckled brown egg, I'm unsure of his mother. I'm guessing one of my barnyard mixes. All my mixes are sired by a Bielefelder.
View attachment 3697673
The blue eggs are from Cream Legbars, and all the browns are from either the barnyard mixes (all from a Bielefelder sire) or from my pure buff or lavender Orpingtons.

One of the babies (smallest egg) is pipping at the wrong end of the end, I'm a touch concerned. My 5 year old was very concerned about the chick "not hav[ing] enough room" and opened the incubator. 😩 Now I'm concerned about the three that had started pipping potentially being suctioned. The humidity is still in the 70s and I've seen some movement since...but not sure what to think. Some of the eggs are just a rocking around, it's fun to watch. I can't wait to see what all these babies look like!
How many are out now? How many did you set?

I have 8 eggs in here, I didn't want too many inside over winter, originally set 14. One died probably around day 6 or 7. 5 were unfertilized. All 8 looked healthy on day 17 before lockdown. No more are out yet, but have seen the tiny brown one in this picture breathing. Baby desperately wants a friend, hopefully more will hatch soon!
PXL_20231204_195555515.jpg

How many are out now? How many did you set?

Two more are hard at work. I've seen others move, so hoping they'll move along.
3rd brown egg from unknown mother (I have 22 brown egg layers) this one has a light colored beak.
PXL_20231205_050615221.jpg

And the first Cream Legbar egg! I have 4 brown and 4 blue in here.
PXL_20231205_050641990.jpg

Back
Top Bottom