First chickens and Coop!

Quote:
No problem in leaving the roo in all the time, especially if a predator gets in he can give him a good flogging.
D.gif
Great job that you've done on your coop & run area!
thumbsup.gif
And
welcome-byc.gif

Chicken wire is just to keep the chickens in. Its not the best for keeping other things out. That being said, my main coop is just chicken wire an is going on 4 years old now.

I always keep a trap set by the coop an relocate anything I catch.(9 coons the first year, 2 sence)
You could also close the chicken door an lock the chickens in the building at night.

As for the roos, I wouldn't worry just watch them an if the hens start getting bald spots on there back start thinking about getting more hens

Hiya, fellow Georgian! I'm at the tip-top of the state and you're almost in Valdosta. Looks good to me! I agree on the hardware wire around the base of the run. Heck, down there, you may even have one of those Florida panthers! Yikes!
Have you ever read a book called "Going to Ground" by Amy Blackmarr? It's set in the Ocilla, Willacoochee area.

Last edited:
Just a thought. Do you get much wind there? I know at my place I would need to anchor a coop that size down to prevent it from blowing over. Unless it was built on a concrete slab of course.
db

The reason why you see so many of us with hens only is because we are in hiding and Mr roo would get us in trouble.
roll.png
Nice job on the coop

Aha...that makes sence about the roo's. I guess I just expected everyone to live in an area like ours...I forget that some people have neighbors!

I really appreciate everyones comments. I will definately take the hardware wire to heart. I would hate for our new found fun to end at the hands of a racoon or fox.

The hens we have are of egg laying age...how long should I expect to ait for any eggs? I say that like its an exact science
lol.png

Oh...and will try to find that book from this area...thanks Speckledhen.

Last edited:
Beaautiful coop!!! Lucky chickens!!!
I personally don't have any Roo's but some of my neighbors do. It depend if you want one. I don't personally need one as I'm not planning to hatch eggs. I just want to eat the eggs and I don't need a roo for that.
idunno.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
beautiful, a great place you have. My only suggestion is to put a piece of wood over the next boxes on a slant, otherwise you will find the chickens will sit on top and poop all over it. I would hinge a piece of wood up on the top 2x4 and let it rest on the outside edge of the nest box top and enclose the end, that way I have a slant roof and some storage space underneath for small useful items like containers, gloves, scrapers etc...

Back
Top Bottom