First chickens ever!

Piglet835

In the Brooder
May 15, 2016
Ontario, Canada
While waiting almost two months last Sunday I finally got to bring home my chickens! It took that long to build the coop while both my husband and I worked full time jobs. They are settling in well. I love coming home and having them run outside or over to their fence when I get home from work. Their personalities are really starting to come out too. The one at the front, Henrietta, seems to have the strongest personality. She follows me around, attempts to peck at my toes and is the first one to find a loose string or hoody rope on my clothes. The black one is Cora, the white one is Mabel and the lighter brown one Gertrude. I'm so happy I finally have them! Can anyone tell me what kind they are?

From the first day I sent with them I was thinking the same thing. Not sure how a cockerel is going to go over as time goes on. I made sure the name can be shortened to Henry if need be lol. They are about two and a half months old right now

Legally I can. I live on a 222 acre farm in the original log house with my husband. My mother and father in law live in the main house. I'm not sure how it might go over with her as we are located fairly close to each other. It will all work out I'm sure. I i can't keep him, which I would like to do, my husband's cousin who gifted me the chickens for my birthday will take him back

That's nice! Roosters are wonderful to have. I've never had any serious problems with them and wouldn't want my chickens to be without any. You might want to get a couple more hens though, just to make sure that the three you have don't get over mated.

My plan is to get a few more hens so that works well. How often do the roosters mate? How do I know an egg is fertile? Can I still get eatting eggs with a rooster living with them?
Sorry for all my questions, as I say I'm brand new lol

You might want to move your roost bar up higher so they'll quit standing on the roof of the next box. ;) they like to go to the highest point.

Roosters differ, some like to mate all.the.time and the hens can get pretty bare backed. Others aren't that aggressive.

You can still eat the eggs, you won't even notice the difference. Fertilized eggs have a tiny bulls-eye, where unfertilized eggs have just a white dot.

Back
Top Bottom