First coop build -question about window and predators?

Donkeygrl

Songster
May 26, 2020
We have one layer of hardware cloth fastened on the inside . Hubs wonders if we should double layer it -like put a layer on the outside as well to truly keep the flock safe from predators?Do we really need to double layer it? The hardware cloth is on there with what seems to be a lot of screws ! It isn’t moving!
A93E3272-EF69-49CD-9C42-6D4774A4948E.jpeg

We have one layer of hardware cloth fastened on the inside . Hubs wonders if we should double layer it -like put a layer on the outside as well to truly keep the flock safe from predators?Do we really need to double layer it? The hardware cloth is on there with what seems to be a lot of screws ! It isn’t moving!View attachment 2169759
You should be fine with one layer.
How will you close the windows and protect the openings from rain getting in?

Looks like furing strips, I would put screws 6” on center and make sure they pass through the hardware cloth. I would recommend deck screws or something with coarse threads and as much penetration into the wood as you can without the screws poking through.

HC is pretty tough, if the edges are secure one layer should be enough

I would be more warry of the wood and the rain. I can't tell positively from here but that looks like a 1x2 boards and luan plywood the hardware cloth is fine with one layer. Neither know for their strength. How much rain can get int through the window? Rain comes down on 45 degree angles around here on 15 mph winds.

We have one layer of hardware cloth fastened on the inside . Hubs wonders if we should double layer it -like put a layer on the outside as well to truly keep the flock safe from predators?Do we really need to double layer it? The hardware cloth is on there with what seems to be a lot of screws ! It isn’t moving!View attachment 2169759
Looks great! my coop is 6 years old, the single layer over the windows has done great. Here is a link to my coop building. I am repainting the inside when the weather warms up. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/building-our-new-coop-deep-mulch.861352/

IMG_0983.JPG

We will def get some washers on those screws to be safe! :) thanks you all for your help! :love

Back
Top Bottom