FIRST DOG ATTACK!!!! Im furious!!! no help needed just a vent!!!

Quote:
Oh, that is so wrong. If a tenant has a dog the landlord cannot take the dog or it is theft. Eviction is possible but takes time. Hold the person accountable who commits the crime please.

Quote:
I disagree with the " 3 s's"

If it gets to that point, take the dog straight to animal control. If they see you taking the dog, tell them they can get if from the animal control and continue on.

I would talk to the landlord. He/she either doesn't know that the tenant has a dog or is knowingly renting a property which doesn't have an adequate enclosure.

I have never talked to a landlord about what tenants are up to without something getting done and quickly. Landlords can't monitor their tenants 24/7 and almost always appreciate hearing about problems. I'm pretty sure that landlord insurance covers damages from tenants' animals so they won't want that going on.

I'm sorry that this happened to you. I've had similar experiences. It is beyond frustrating to have irresponsible dog owners look at you blankly as if they have no idea of what you're talking about. I have three labs and a rottweiler mix and none have never hurt my birds, mostly because they are not allowed around them so I just don't understand it.

Quote:

If it gets to that point, take the dog straight to animal control. If they see you taking the dog, tell them they can get if from the animal control and continue on.

Oh I totally agree with the 3 S's because my dad called animal control 3 times, and the lady who finally came out couldn't have caught a 3 legged horse.
It was hilarious to watch and yet, we were thinking "what the heck are they paying her for??" so my dad shot the dog the next morning.
Was a pity too because it was neutered so we suspected it was more than your average stray.

Last time I called AC in this city, they couldn't even find the dog in question, yet I've seen it several times including when I was just driving around. AC is usually just a joke if you have a serious problem.

Quote:

Oh I totally agree with the 3 S's because my dad called animal control 3 times, and the lady who finally came out couldn't have caught a 3 legged horse.
It was hilarious to watch and yet, we were thinking "what the heck are they paying her for??" so my dad shot the dog the next morning.
Was a pity too because it was neutered so we suspected it was more than your average stray.

Last time I called AC in this city, they couldn't even find the dog in question, yet I've seen it several times including when I was just driving around. AC is usually just a joke if you have a serious problem.

AC isn't always terrible. Ours is great. She takes care of five towns and seems to work all of the time. You can always try.

Im all good after a margarita and a good nights sleep! we are landlords too-and as a lanlord-theres not much we could do about that sort of thing except-when renting not allowing pets-which because I am an animal lover-I get a big deposit and they can have 1 pet. Im prety sure I made myself perfectly clear to them-one..Im Italian- so my hands and the rake I was holding was a few inches from their faces two-the women was breaking down in tears and I think I almost made her wet herself!!!-if not and one of my babies gets hurt-well they already know I ll take them to smal claims court-not to have the animal put down or taken away-but recoup my expenses and MAKE them fence in their yard/put up a run etc...I would hate to see another life lst out of stupidity of the owners-if it came near my children and was evil-different story-hate to say it but I would have to do the three S's.

dug a hole at the back of your property...

We have one about 5ft x 5ft and 6ft deep, build a cover on top... comes in handy.
wink.png

You need a paper trail in case this happens again. Trust me, if you don't have evidence, they will claim it never happened. Been there and done that with a bad neighbor. If you are not wanting to file a report with animal control, the Sheriff's Dept or the police, write them a letter. Be concise and polite in the letter. Send one to them registered mail and one regular mail. That way, if they don't sign for the registered mail, they still get the letter. A lawyer advised me to do it this way a long time ago.

I sent such a letter to my neighbors that own the evil rhodesian ridgebacks that killed my birds. Before the massacre they were suspected of being out and killing one of my birds. It was a polite warning that their dogs were a problem and were not welcome on my property. The dogs came back at a later date and killed 13 birds. In court, the letter was very helpful. It showed the judge that they were irresponsible enough to allow the dogs out when they knew they were a problem. I would reccommend you write something like this:

Dear (neighbor)
On (insert date) your dog entered my property. He chased and attempted to kill my poultry. At least one bird was injured. I spoke with you that day, and I know that you are aware of the problem.

In the past, your dog has chased my children and gotten into our trash. I consider your dog dangerous and a menace. It is your responsibility to keep your animal on your property.

In most jurisdictions it is legal for property owners to shoot roaming dogs that are on their property harrassing, chasing or killing livestock. If your dog is on my property again, I will take any and all legal action necessary to remedy the situation. I will also hold you liable for any and all damages caused by your dog.

Sincerely,
You

Also send a nice letter and a copy of the letter sent to your neighbor to their landlord. Yes, a landlord might be held liable if they permit tenants to keep dangerous dogs on their property. Once the landlord has been made aware of the propensity of the dog to a problem he/she assumes some liability if they permit the animal to stay there in some jurisdictions.

What state are you in?

Back
Top Bottom