First dozen in a single day!

Dogfish

Rube Goldberg incarnate
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Western Washington
I have 16 hens and most are currently laying or coming into lay. Egg production has been on a steady increase since the first started to lay the end of July. I''ve been getting steady 9-11 egg days for the last week and last night when I went out I found my first perfect dozen! Time to start working on a client list for folks who want some eggs.

Congratulations!!!! I have 12 hens, kind of curious if I'll ever get a dozen in one day. We've been averaging 6-7 per day. They are not all the same age but should be all at laying age pretty soon.

celebrate.gif
yay!

I have 11 girls who've been laying for about a month and the most I've had in one day is 6
roll.png

I wish they'd kick it up a notch, ever since the recall started EVERYONE I know suddenly wants to jump on my Crazy Chicken Lady bandwagon
cool.png

I've had a dozen eggs twice since my 12 girls started laying mid-July. However, only yesterday were all 12 eggs hard-shelled. The other time two of the eggs were "jelly-eggs". Still getting a couple double-yolker eggs and no-yolkers. I've been told that it's their egg laying mechanisms getting into gear and it's not uncommon for the first month or so to get weird eggs.
But there's usually 10 eggs a day, all medium to large brown eggs and really yummy!
Thinking about putting out a "Fresh Eggs for Sale" sign in the yard
smile.png

Congrats on your dozen in a day. I have 11 hens, but believe only 6 are laying right now, the others haven't started but should soon. I did get my high daily number of 6 eggs on Wednesday. I got 4 today, but one was very small- only the size of a pigeon egg. Could this have been a first egg for one of my youngsters? My high number for the week of eggs is 26, you probably will get twice as many as me.

Isn't that awesome!!! We got our first egg July 4th, and have gotten 19 in one day this last Tues. We are up to 18 so far today, but I can't wait till they break their record! All of our girls are 6 months and younger, so it is exciting when you find a new one laying! We have 22 laying hens (that I know of). Congratulations.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom