First Egg Countdown

Hello everyone! Well....my chicks are still very young, they recently turned 3 weeks old on this past Thursday so it will be a long wait. That and we are not sure whether we got cocks or pullets. Hopefully the majority are pullets! I am really looking forward to getting their eggs I can hardly wait.

ya.gif
Congratulations!!!
Congrats HomeByBonnie!
celebrate.gif

so if u wash them u have to eat them sooner ?
my wife didnt know so she washed them already the first egg is only 5 days old last egg was yesterday

Just a reminder that it is a good idea to put "fake eggs" in your nest boxes before your girls start to lay. This does several things. One, it lets the newbies "check" out the eggs. Chickens will try to eat anything at least once. So if they peck on a plastic egg and it is not something to eat, they will learn not to mess with it because it wasn't tasty. On the other hand, if they saw a real egg for the first time in there, they are likely to peck on it, break it open and find they love to eat the eggs....then you have an egg eater and it is almost impossible to cure that. Second, the fake eggs let your girls know where to lay their eggs. A chicken will lay their eggs where they think they are safe and if they see other eggs there, they want their eggs there, too. I use plastic easter eggs. Some people use golf balls or wooden balls. It is just a good idea and will help you in the long run.

Last night, after just whining about no eggs (and buying eggs) I went outside to count heads and put everyone to bed. While performing my nightly ritual, I spied a red ranger pullet rolling a little brown egg across the bottom shelf of the old workbench where they roost. She was pushing it towards me as if to say "Look what I did mom!" I will post a pic as soon as my phone let's me.

Last night, after just whining about no eggs (and buying eggs) I went outside to count heads and put everyone to bed. While performing my nightly ritual, I spied a red ranger pullet rolling a little brown egg across the bottom shelf of the old workbench where they roost. She was pushing it towards me as if to say "Look what I did mom!" I will post a pic as soon as my phone let's me.
How cute! And exciting! Can't wait to see photos!

Back
Top Bottom