First Egg Countdown

I'm starting to realize that people here must have small hands!

Every photo holding an egg makes the eggs look much bigger than they are!
Hahaha! Gotta love that comment. It makes me feel bad about the eggs I get from my girls (except for one). Almost all the people here report their first eggs and they look huge and my girls start with really small eggs (except for the sex-links).

BTW I have been getting 6/6 eggs from my pullets for the past 3 days and am a happy daddy.

hi,

I don't want to sound like a fool but I'm newbe. what is a pallet egg?
Before a hen reaches her first year, they are called a "pullet", so the eggs of a pullet are usually small-ish, compared to the eggs of an older hen.
You don't sound like a fool, we're all here to learn from each other :)

Got two more eggs from my girls yesterday when I came home still don't know who's is who gunna try to catch them today
My girls do a lot of hollering and whooping after somebody's laid an egg. Sometimes it is when Glados, our French Maran is still in the coop laying so I can catch her. I have also noticed that it isn't just Glados who does all the cackling and crowing. Apparently several of my girls do it for her, especially her bonded buddy.

Well, all the ruckus is how I caught her! Lol! I ran downstairs the minute I heard them and ran to the coop. Voila! There she was, still setting there! My girls free range the yard, and she was the only one in the hutch at the time, so she was an easy catch.

my eggs are between 45-50g I don't know how old she is but they seem quite small thoughts.... pallet or not pallet
Probably she is a pullet, if the hen is a large fowl breed and the eggs are small. Different breeds do lay small eggs, or large eggs- like Jersey Giants vs. Silkies; What type of hen is she? If you're not sure, post a picture of her and the folks on here will be able to tell you exactly what she is and probably how old she is too.

Generally, the sizes of eggs are classified by weight and go like this:

Jumbo: 30 oz/doz ~ 71g/egg
Ex. Large: 27 oz/doz ~ 64g/egg
Large: 24 oz/doz ~ 57g/egg
Medium: 21 oz/doz ~ 50g/egg
Small: 18 oz/doz ~ 42.5g/egg
PeeWee: 15 oz/doz ~ 35g/egg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom