First Egg Countdown

Gldnrose - welcome to the group and BYC! They look like they will be laying any time now.

Thank you for the welcome.
I sure hope you're right about laying soon.
My patience is running out
barnie.gif

Week 26. Bright red faces. Poofy bums. FINALLY OVER AVIAN POX! (im celebrating every time i go outside and see ONE less scabby bird-39 to go!) Rosie's pubic bone is about a finger and a half width now, Alice is more like 3/4 of a finger (she knows shes pretty enough to never have to lay an egg ;) )

The littles are 16 and 15 weeks now (where did the time go? Wasnt i cleaning pasty butt yesterday?) I am excitedly waiting to see who will fill out first!

Also-somewhat related to first eggs...i have a crossbeak EE who has been a runt since day one. At 15 weeks old, she still peeps. She is noticeably smaller than two of my EEs, but on par with the Wyandotte and one EE her age. For those of you with stunted chickens, did you ever get that first egg? (I am convinced she will lay a blue egg because she is just that awesome).

Hi there! How do you get over Avian pox? I think some of mine have it. I've seen dark oval type scabs on their faces. I feel horrible about it. Is there anything I can do? Will it stop them from laying? (They haven't started yet. They are 12 weeks) I just feel really bad. Like it's my fault. =(

Hi there! How do you get over Avian pox? I think some of mine have it. I've seen dark oval type scabs on their faces. I feel horrible about it. Is there anything I can do? Will it stop them from laying? (They haven't started yet. They are 12 weeks) I just feel really bad. Like it's my fault. =(

Hi,
Are you sure it's avian pox? Fighting scabs can also be dark marks on the face, comb, and wattles.
When chickens have disputes, they often settle it by pecking each other's face.
Someone posted about avian pox earlier in the thread. If you google images of avian dry pox, and what you see is similar to the looks of your birds, that's probably it.
If your birds have dry pox, they are likely to get over it after a while on their own. Wet pox, from what I've read, is often fatal.
Good luck and I hope your birds are okay.

Back
Top Bottom