First Egg Countdown

I've been getting eggs since September and still get happy when I get one. They've really slowed down since winter so it's still a surprise when they lay.

Yay!

It's weird, that my brand new layer decided to lay her first egg in December. It goes against everything I've read. I don't have additional lights, the days are growing so short... The only thing I can figure is, my new layer never went through a mini moult like the other five did. Plus, she's the only one who has tiny wattles and no beard to speak of.

Lovey, the one I believe is laying. Actually, I caught her in her "laying place" today.

Yay!

It's weird, that my brand new layer decided to lay her first egg in December. It goes against everything I've read. I don't have additional lights, the days are growing so short... The only thing I can figure is, my new layer never went through a mini moult like the other five did. Plus, she's the only one who has tiny wattles and no beard to speak of.

Lovey, the one I believe is laying. Actually, I caught her in her "laying place" today.
I have a 20 week old Easter Egger that looks EXACTLY like that. Right down to tiny wattles and no beard. The only difference I can tell is that mine has white earlobes, while your hen's earlobes are pinkish.

I have a 20 week old Easter Egger that looks EXACTLY like that. Right down to tiny wattles and no beard. The only difference I can tell is that mine has white earlobes, while your hen's earlobes are pinkish.

I have an EE that looks similar, but she has more black on her head. Her comb really grew and reddened before she laid. She started laying a week ago at 29 weeks and her earlobes are white, but she lays a beautiful olive egg.

I have an EE that looks similar, but she has more black on her head. Her comb really grew and reddened before she laid. She started laying a week ago at 29 weeks and her earlobes are white, but she lays a beautiful olive egg.

Xaio Casa and sunflower4you, I guess the wattles win.

Sunflower4you, I like the dark on her head. The contrast between the red and black is very striking. Yes! In that kind of lighting, that's almost the exact color Lovey is laying.
highfive.gif

My 22 week old easter egger is in the nest box for the first time. I've had chickens but I'm still excited about the babies being all grown up and starting to lay. The older ladies are hanging out with her and cheering her on. She's my first EE. Can't wait to get a blue egg!
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

My 22 week old easter egger is in the nest box for the first time. I've had chickens but I'm still excited about the babies being all grown up and starting to lay. The older ladies are hanging out with her and cheering her on. She's my first EE. Can't wait to get a blue egg!
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

I hate to burst your bubble, but it may not be blue. EE's can lay any color egg. It's great that she's in the nest box though!

I hate to burst your bubble, but it may not be blue. EE's can lay any color egg. It's great that she's in the nest box though!

I know there's a chance. But she has the pea comb which, per my research, is closely located to the blue egg gene and usually inherited together. She likely will lay blue. She's a silly bird though so I'd keep her anyway.

I call her an EE but she's a hatchery bird sold as an americana which, per my research (I research a lot lol!), is really an EE.

We shall see!

Last edited:
I know there's a chance. But she has the pea comb which, per my research, is closely located to the blue egg gene and usually inherited together. She likely will lay blue. She's a silly bird though so I'd keep her anyway.

I call her an EE but she's a hatchery bird sold as an americana which, per my research (I research a lot lol!), is really an EE.

We shall see!
See my post a few posts back for a picture of one of my pea comb EEs and her egg. I have two EEs with pea combs laying right now (Murray McMurray) and they both lay a beautiful light olive colored egg.

I'm not going to find out today, I don't think. She was rather fussy this morning. Then she went into the nest box and was there for a while. The other girls went in to cheer her on. I thought for sure today was it, but she has emerged and is back to pecking the ground. No egg. Just a long practice run, lol!

Last edited:
I'm not going to find out today, I don't think. She was rather fussy this morning. Then she went into the nest box and was there for a while. The other girls went in to cheer her on. I thought for sure today was it, but she has emerged and is back to pecking the ground. No egg. Just a long practice run, lol!
She's keeping you on your toes! Can't wait for my EE to show interest in the nesting boxes. She has a pea comb, too, and I am so curious to see what color her eggs turn out to be. I read the same thing about the combs and egg color, but I'm not sure how reliable that info is. Whatever color they are, I am sure they will be beautiful, but I can't help hoping for a blue or green.

Back
Top Bottom