First Egg Countdown

So nice to have others to share the insanity of a first egg with.
highfive.gif

From everyone I've read about their first egg, I think there are more insanity on this forum...
highfive.gif
highfive.gif
highfive.gif
highfive.gif
highfive.gif
highfive.gif

Mine is just sitting there on the counter too, I need to know how would be the best way to taste it...this is actually the first home grown egg I have eaten in at least 45 years...how should I cook it?

Last edited:
I think the best way to taste it is the way that you like eggs best! My personal favorite is an egg fried in butter with a runny yolk and a piece of buttered toast on the side. That's how I tasted my first egg right next to a store bought egg - no comparison!
droolin.gif

fingers crossed!!!!

Thanks! I will have you all know that these two squatted again and let me pet them!
I think the best way to taste it is the way that you like eggs best! My personal favorite is an egg fried in butter with a runny yolk and a piece of buttered toast on the side. That's how I tasted my first egg right next to a store bought egg - no comparison!
droolin.gif

I second that! I bake my own bread just to go with some yummy runny egg :)

Here are my 3 EE freeloaders. 6 months and a day now. Think they are close, but told them I am getting the pot out...

I have been struggling keeping my automatic watering font from freezing, and as a result I have thought I wouldn't get my first eggs for quite some time. My hens are now 17.5 weeks old, and I figured I would normally get eggs by New Years, possibly later due to the watering issues.

But today, I got my first 2 eggs....woot! One was like a plastic bag that had been burst, but the other was quite nice.

Interestingly, my roost boxes are above my heat lamps, and while they sit on the roosts in front of the boxes, I've never seen any hens in any of the boxes. So it was interesting that the burst egg was found on the ground, but the good egg was found in a roost box. Even more surprising to me was I had not yet started to put straw in the boxes, they were empty galvanized boxes. Yet in one of them was this great egg...go figure.

I never thought I'd get excited about an egg...but here I am!

Cheers,
Russ

Congrats!
clap.gif

My first egg on the third day of cold dreariness with constant mixed precipitation. I guess the countdown is over for one of my girls! In the nestbox and everything... boy was I doting on them today. I was out there throwing scratch and congratulating them all like it was mission control for a space mission that just landed on the moon or something.
yesss.gif
Yay, congrats!
wee.gif

Mine is just sitting there on the counter too, I need to know how would be the best way to taste it...this is actually the first home grown egg I have eaten in at least 45 years...how should I cook it?
What is your favorite? I'd go for over easy myself. The biggest adjustment to me was hard boiled - it was strange not having them be rubbery like grocery store eggs.

Awesome! So at 24 weeks I get my first EGG! It was the Silver Laced Wyandotte, Looch.
Beautiful pullet and egg, congrats!

Back
Top Bottom