First Egg Countdown

Got 1st eggs from my barred rocks and my black copper marans yesterday! Here's a picture of the first BCM egg.

hey, i just went out to check for eggs, and theirs still no eggs frown emoticon but i did notice that in the nesting boxes its normally at stomped down from them just walking and sleeping in there, but this morning in one corner it was all fluffed up, nest looking and round. dose this mean a hen did this and is getting ready or is this just the rooster trying to show them where to go?

My ladies gave us their first eggs on Thursday - 3 of them and since then had 3 a day. They don't always look the same so I am guessing more than 3 are laying. I have no idea how you all work out who laid what!

Quote: Roughly within a week or two.

My ladies gave us their first eggs on Thursday - 3 of them and since then had 3 a day. They don't always look the same so I am guessing more than 3 are laying. I have no idea how you all work out who laid what!
There are clues. The easy one is breed color. Some breeds lay darker, or if you only have 1 bird that is a white egg layer, then it's pretty easy to tell. Otherwise, you have to stalk them to find out. I can usually tell the breed that laid the egg, but the individual is more difficult when you have 45 birds.

My ladies gave us their first eggs on Thursday - 3 of them and since then had 3 a day. They don't always look the same so I am guessing more than 3 are laying.  I have no idea how you all work out who laid what!

My first layer was easy to figure out. She was the loud mouth nesting in everything she could scratch into!

Back
Top Bottom