First Egg Countdown

We are waiting for our first egg, but it may be awhile. We have 4 that are 18.5 weeks old and 4 that are 10.5 weeks old. The older batch are supposed to be white rocks and prod. reds, so I am hoping for some eggs soon! I haven't seen much sinnging or squatting though, and the combs are still small and pinkish:

That is great! My Marans started laying a couple of weeks ago. She laid to small ones, stopped for three days and then laid a medium one for 6 days. She took a day off and is now laying almost large eggs. I expect her to be laying extra large eggs next month.

They are very pretty eggs too--about a 5 on the darkness scale.

Ron

Ron you have a hilariously organized little Marans! It's like she's consulting a chart or something lol. And here my Faverolle is still laying teeny weeny pullet eggs pretty much daily. I keep asking her what I'm supposed to do with quail eggs and reminding her that she's technically dual purpose, but she doesn't seem impressed.

Quote: Yes! She is the blue marans in my Avatar. Her sister the EE is frustrating though. The eggs are sporadic and small. The Marans eggs are already usable and I am so surprised to be getting so many from her. She is turning out to be as good as my Golden comets so far and yes, she laid another one yesterday.

That is already three from this cycle for her. She is also very business like about it. And did I tell you she likes to stand on my shoes when I am out feeding?
love.gif

Seriously, I need to get back to the feed store that sells those hatching eggs..They only cost me a dollar each! For $12.00, I got 6 EEs and 1 Blue Marans. I sold the two roos and two of the pullets. One did not thrive and died at four weeks old, not much bigger than when she hatched.

Ron

Last edited:
What breed laid those beautiful eggs?
welcome-byc.gif

It's great to have you here!

Can you give me a post number or quote of the picture? I went back several pages but did not see any recent pictures of eggs.

Do you have one or more ready to lay? Please post a picture of them if so and later post a picture of the first eggs

Ron

#30 of 1515
The person that posted that picture did not know what the breed was. They posted a thread to figure it out, and the Guesses were Golden laced Wyendotte or Wellsummer.

Looks like a Wyendotte egg to me, but I don't know. Great looking egg.

From bs288:

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I just acquired a couple of welsummers a roo and hen. They are only 6 or 7 weeks old but I got something to look for to.

My cuckoo marans laid her first egg! Of course that was the day I sent my husband down to collect eggs and he didn't realize it was a new pullet's egg. But here is her 2nd egg on the right, next to my ameraucana (who lays a really light greenish egg) and BCM egg...

Back
Top Bottom