First Egg Countdown

Hello!

New here and happily working my way through this thread (man, 168pages in just over a year!). I have two Buff Orps and two Rhode Island Reds. I think they are about 16-17 weeks old, but am not entirely sure as the woman who I bought them from in early June initially said that she'd have 12-week old Buffs ready for early June, but when I picked them up, she said that maybe they were born in early April, so would actually be 12-13weeks now. Confused.

However, I am seeing changes to my girls. My RIRs are now, in the last week, going from "peep-peeping" noises to almost grown hen "broooook" noises, though their wattles/combs are still small/pale. My Buffs are still "peep-peeping", but their faces/wattles/combs are getting larger/redder. So I'm not sure on this. I am seeing many photos of people's hens here and it looks like my girls could be closer to the 16-week mark than the 12-week mark. I can post an updated photo tomorrow.

Waiting for eggs too....
idunno.gif

cheers
Ursa

hi all, I have 12 chickens 18 weeks old yesterday. Some have been squating Ive heard a few egg songs. Last night one of my SLW was acting very strange before bedtime, so I am anxious to head outside to tend to them today and check that nest box. It was 830 last night and all the other girls put themselves to bed already and there is Kenevil wandering the yard making an awful lot of noise,pacing around. I thought she was looking for the rest of the flock and hadnt realized they went to bed so I scooped her up and put her in her house. She didnt want to go in she ran back down the ramp pacing all noisey looking so confused. She kept following me and looking at me like somethings weird, somethings gonna happen. Then she squatted for me. Finally i put her back with the flock and closed her in for the night. I know its coming soon.
wee.gif

Hello!

New here and happily working my way through this thread (man, 168pages in just over a year!). I have two Buff Orps and two Rhode Island Reds. I think they are about 16-17 weeks old, but am not entirely sure as the woman who I bought them from in early June initially said that she'd have 12-week old Buffs ready for early June, but when I picked them up, she said that maybe they were born in early April, so would actually be 12-13weeks now. Confused.

However, I am seeing changes to my girls. My RIRs are now, in the last week, going from "peep-peeping" noises to almost grown hen "broooook" noises, though their wattles/combs are still small/pale. My Buffs are still "peep-peeping", but their faces/wattles/combs are getting larger/redder. So I'm not sure on this. I am seeing many photos of people's hens here and it looks like my girls could be closer to the 16-week mark than the 12-week mark. I can post an updated photo tomorrow.

Waiting for eggs too....
idunno.gif

cheers
Ursa

Mine were born in March and stopped peeping/started clucking at least a month ago. Their combs and wattles are just now starting to turn red (some of them). So, I'd say they're younger rather than older if they're peeping. But, what do I know?

I, too, am on egg watch.
cool.png

Hello!

Waiting for eggs too....
idunno.gif

cheers
Ursa
welcome-byc.gif

Waiting for eggs is great, exciting and it seems to take forever. It would really be frustrating if you did not know the age of the chicks. I am sorry about that. I do understand however. I have to refer to my hatching notes to figure out how old the different hatches are...

Yes! Please post pictures.

The RIRs are known for laying early. Buff Orps can take longer.

Good choice of chickens. You will love them(ok you probably already do
gig.gif
).

Ron

welcome-byc.gif
Roaring Bravado! It does sound like your chickens are a tad older than the lady was talking about. I'm always amazed at how long the birds hold onto peeping before trying their big-girl voices.

Chicken Picken, it sounds like you're in for eggs soon! Squatting usually happens within 2 weeks of eggs!

I'm on egg watch too! I got two Barred Rocks at the 17-18 week mark (17 weeks I've had them but were about a week old when I purchased them). One does the "squat" thing when you reach out to her and her comb is more red ..sometimes. I'm anxious for these freeloaders to start producing!
big_smile.png

We just got our first egg this morning, we were all so excited! The oldest girls are 17.5 weeks old, it made a rather gloomy morning for me an awesome day!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom