First Egg Countdown

FINALLY!!!!! After 31 long weeks of waiting......my EE finally laid her first egg!!!! OMG! I am sooooooooooooo excited! She was in and out of the nest all day....The other hens were all swibbling with her because, of course, they all want the same nest! Well, she finally had it.....And it's a pretty sea foam green!!!!! I finally have a colored egg! My other EE, same age by the way, has been laying for 17 weeks already but she lays a light pink egg. I wanted a blue/green egg! FInally got it. Oh happy dance!!!!!

Milly (about 1 month ago)

L to R - Barred Rock, Leghorn (pullet egg) , Milly!, EE, another EE, Rhode Island Red

My 6 laying chicken eggs! Silkie is the only one left to lay....when do silkie's lay?
Then, I have 4 new chicks....another EE, 2 Ameraucanas and a Welsummer.....only 3 - 5 weeks old! Can't wait until Spring now!

For all you who have chickens you are waiting on.....it's worth the wait! Yea for eggs!

Hello! I've been reading this thread and I really enjoy it!
wee.gif

I have two chickens, I used to have three, but sadly she was killed by a fox at 6 weeks old.
sad.png

I have a BR and a BSL. I have been wondering when they would lay eggs. They are 17 weeks old. Marble my BR is the only one growing a comb/waddle so far, and is a nice rosey colour. Alice my other chick is kind of growing it, not really. They both seem to have an interest in the nesting box. But strangely today when they were foresting Marble attacked Alice twice! This uppset me, they NEVER fight, or even challange each other. Why did Marble do this? And should I give them oyster shells soon?

Last edited:
Hey there. I have 4 BR's. One of them was the first to lay, at 21 weeks (she also developed the red comb/wattle and squat earliest). The others are 22.5 weeks now and still have not laid, but they are acting as if they will any minute!--pacing, groaning, checking out the nest boxes etc...

But I don't know about the BSL; I haven't got one of those myself.
I have a BR and a BSL. I have been wondering when they would lay eggs. They are 17 weeks old.

Thanks! Yes I know what you mean, my mother likes to call this process "Eggulating". She is just so moody, and loud and protective. My BSL I thought would lay first since everyone say they are early layers, maybe mine is a late bloomer!
roll.png

We were out winterizing the yard/garden on sunday, and I could SWEAR I heard the beginnings of an egg song out of my now 21 week old Brown Leghorn. It was short and sweet, but it was definitely, "bock-bock-bock-b-GOCK!". She came running out from the coop, and belted that out. It sent the other girls running for cover, and the kerfluffle kind of interrupted her. But it was enough that both my husband and I stopped what we were doing, and when we looked at each other, I was like... ooooohhhh.... I think that's the "egg song".

And last night, I dreamt that I went out and found a dozen eggs, some as small as marbles in all colors... white, brown, blue and one big olive one. No eggs yet though.

But I'm ready for them... whenever they start.

We were out winterizing the yard/garden on sunday, and I could SWEAR I heard the beginnings of an egg song out of my now 21 week old Brown Leghorn. It was short and sweet, but it was definitely, "bock-bock-bock-b-GOCK!". She came running out from the coop, and belted that out. It sent the other girls running for cover, and the kerfluffle kind of interrupted her. But it was enough that both my husband and I stopped what we were doing, and when we looked at each other, I was like... ooooohhhh.... I think that's the "egg song".

And last night, I dreamt that I went out and found a dozen eggs, some as small as marbles in all colors... white, brown, blue and one big olive one. No eggs yet though.

But I'm ready for them... whenever they start.

How cute is that!!! My brown leghorn didn't lay until she was 23 1/2 weeks old. I use a marker to put date and who laid on bottom of each egg and my dh thinks I'm nuts for doing that! I also tally each egg on a calendar. Can't wait to show dh I am not the only one to mark the eggs!

I have 5 hens (4 and 1/2 LOL 4 standard and 1 bantam) that are about 13 months old and have been laying since 1/1/12. That was my New Year's present. I was away for most of month of April and my little bantam went broody. I don't have a roo so I bought her 2 day old babies and slipped them under her during the night. The next morning she had kicked the little babies out of the nest and was running around like nothing had happened so I hand raised the two babies. They are 20 weeks old today! One is an EE and the other is half Cochin and half SLW. Both their faces, combs and wattles are very red and the EE has been checking out the nesting boxes for several days. I am very excited at the prospect of a green or blue egg. Cochins, I know, are typically later layers so I don't have my hopes up for her first egg just yet. My little bantam EE lays a pinky beige egg and the BAs and LBs lay varying shades of brown. The waiting game has officially begun for the first blue or green egg though.
Three and a half weeks later and I'm still waiting on my first blue or green egg.
barnie.gif

How cute is that!!! My brown leghorn didn't lay until she was 23 1/2 weeks old. I use a marker to put date and who laid on bottom of each egg and my dh thinks I'm nuts for doing that! I also tally each egg on a calendar. Can't wait to show dh I am not the only one to mark the eggs!

Hee!

Yeah, I figure that stamping them with the chicken's name that laid them and then using a pencil to write the date on them would be alright. As it is I have kind of color coded by breed... Red for the Leghorn, black for the Wyandottes, blue for the EEs. The calendar is a good idea too. But I think I will set up a spreadsheet on my computer to track them (omg... am I a geek...). =)

I am hoping that I will be able to tell who laid what when they're all finally going. I am expecting about 4-5 eggs a day next spring/summer. I have only one Leghorn, so, that one's a no brainer. hehe I am also expecting there to be enough variation in the EEs to tell the difference between their eggs. Can I expect a similar variation between the Wyandottes's eggs?

Hee!

Yeah, I figure that stamping them with the chicken's name that laid them and then using a pencil to write the date on them would be alright. As it is I have kind of color coded by breed... Red for the Leghorn, black for the Wyandottes, blue for the EEs. The calendar is a good idea too. But I think I will set up a spreadsheet on my computer to track them (omg... am I a geek...). =)

I am hoping that I will be able to tell who laid what when they're all finally going. I am expecting about 4-5 eggs a day next spring/summer. I have only one Leghorn, so, that one's a no brainer. hehe I am also expecting there to be enough variation in the EEs to tell the difference between their eggs. Can I expect a similar variation between the Wyandottes's eggs?
I only have 6 hens laying right now and from their 1st egg I knew and watched them lay their eggs.....so I know the different shapes/coloring and surface of each one. But, I do have different breeds, so that may make it easier. My BR usually has an egg with small white spots on it. My Buff Orphingtons egg is really big and round. My RIR's egg is smaller and darker and usually has a small spot on the underside of it. My EE's eggs are green and pink. My leghorn is white. But, I guess it would be really hard if they are all the same breed! Someone wrote that they put food color on their chickens vents....a different color for each hen. The color rubs off when they have their eggs....wonder if that works? I guess if you needed to find out who was laying that might work, but can't see doing it often! hahaha. If you are like me and my husband, we race each other to the nests all the time...we usually know who is in the box and can't wait until we see them leave! We are such dorkie newbees! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom