First Egg from Jersey Giant

Kinzer

Chirping
May 21, 2021
Northern Utah
One of our Jersey Giants layed her first egg today! What do you think of the coloring? Will she continue to lay them like this, or does it have to do with it being her first? The egg she hatched from was just a solid brown. Pretty cool though. If we get it wet the white disappears and then comes right back when dry.

32A34D25-366A-4A8A-A51D-AD829B577FDC.jpeg

These eggs are caused by bloom, uneven pigment coating, or too much calcium. Some hens will lay these types of eggs consistently, or just have them every once in a while. What are you feeding your hen? If her diet is fine and she is healthy, no need to worry :)
They eat an 18% layer mash and sometimes a little bit of scratch. And I have oyster shells out just in case they want a little extra calcium. Other than that they eat whatever they can find in the yard including grass, garden scraps, and bugs. They all seem very happy. I assume the eggs are still perfectly fine to eat.

One of my BJG pullets started laying a 5 months, now two are laying a month later, both produce light cream to light tan colored, nearly all are flawless, but some are smaller than others, a couple looked really small.

Back
Top Bottom