First egg how long in between?

trcwood

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
We got first egg in afternoon. Have five hens. How long between eggs. Any tricks or tips to help the girls out?

My production reds lay almost every 24 hours, at least 6 days out of 7. My White Rock and the only EE who is laying, lay about every 26 hours, 4 to 5 days per week. Since they are young, they have not really slacked off due to diminishing light. (Yet...
roll.png
)

Depends on your breed. some breeds lay everyday and some other breeds lay every other day.
The usual is 24 to 26 hours to make a egg from start to laying it.
I have seen a few days lapse in laying the next egg in some our my pullets.
First eggs are awesome to get and when production is up that is grand!!!!
We're still hoping to be able to sell eggs but they are just slow in getting started.

If the first egg was in the afternoon, I'd expect her to skip a day. That's what mine did, anyway. Afternoon egg, no egg, morning eggs for the next several days (just a bit later each day). Once they get to 3PM or so, they skip the next day.

My production red laid her first egg about a week and a half ago.. after her first egg it took her 4 days until i got another egg. But she has laid for 7 days straight now.. Today is the only day she skipped laying. Yesterday we got an egg at about 6 pm. lol So i can see why she would skip today. It all depends on the breed and when she feels like laying i suppose. Congrats on your first egg though!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom