First Egg last Tuesday, again Wednesday, and since then ....NADA....

Kellita

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
Florida
I was sooooo excited...the eggs were perfect brown eggs...we used one and I gave the second one to my neighbor...then nothing. Thursday my son left the door to the coop shut, and I think that's when the laying happens..during the day...so that might have thrown her off...but then nothing again....I have a RIR and a Plimoth, which one would be laying brown eggs? I put the golf ball back in nesting box as a reminder...

Pullets just starting to lay have an irregular laying schedule. Laying one day then skipping day(s). laying at various times.Once they get into production they will lay during the day. Both lay a brown egg. Leave the golf ball in the nest for a while till you are sure they are attached to laying in the box.

Don't get discouraged, we got home one night when they were 18 weeks and had two eggs laying in the run, both with beautiful hard shells. We were so happy and surprised. Then it was I think another four days before we got one, and we got a few soft-shelled water balloon type eggs but now they're laying fairly regularly and always in the nest boxes. I have helped them out by using a store-bought egg (it's stamped so I know not to eat it) in the nest box rather than a golf ball, I think the golf ball would give them the idea but I thought since they're brown egg layers I wanted a brown egg in there not a white golfball. I think both of yours lay brown eggs, Plymouth Rocks for sure lay brown eggs, those are what I have. Also I was expecting them to lay in the morning, but at first they seemed to lay at night, or around noon... they're still just figuring things out. Good luck!

One of my Lavender pullets started laying I was excited, except the egg color and she laid a couple and then NOTHING for months, she is starting again. I hope that is not a reg pattern. It is hard enough to get Lavenders and to have to wait a month or so between eggs will SUCK!

A few of mine have been laying regularly for a few weeks, but somebody lays a pointy, light brown egg every once in a while. I have no idea who it is. Hopefully, she'll start cranking them out on a more regular basis, soon. They've gotta get a handle on this new egg laying gig, ya know. Practice is required on their part, patience on ours.
big_smile.png

Soon, you'll be wondering what to do with all the durn eggs!!

Last edited:
Was beginning to feel like a bridesmaid and never a bride!!! Good to know that it's just a normal behavior. What a great forum and website for newbies...I enjoy this so much! We had a roo, by mistake, and I returned him to the farm where I got him, and I'm hoping that doesn't put the girls in a tailspin...no pun intended....
big_smile.png

We have two New Hampshires and two Easter Eggs that are almost 6 months old. Last week we got a small brown egg. Then three days with nothing. Then an egg with thin shell. Two days nothing. Yesterday very small brown egg with regular shell and another soft one. I'm spending time talking to the girls, trying to get them motivated to earn their keep. Today we talked about how good roast chicken taste. :lol: I'm so glad to find this forum. I guess it doesn't just magically happen. I must be patient. No roast chicken yet.

We have two New Hampshires and two Easter Eggs that are almost 6 months old. Last week we got a small brown egg. Then three days with nothing. Then an egg with thin shell. Two days nothing. Yesterday very small brown egg with regular shell and another soft one. I'm spending time talking to the girls, trying to get them motivated to earn their keep. Today we talked about how good roast chicken taste.
lol.png
I'm so glad to find this forum. I guess it doesn't just magically happen. I must be patient. No roast chicken yet.

Nope. No magic.

I just figured out that I spend $75 per month on organic feed ... alone. No grit, no oystershell, no meal worms. When all 7 girls start producing, I can figure on about 5 or 6 eggs per day, which is about 3 dozen a week. This adds up to 12 dozen a month ... in a good month. Divide $75 by 12, and you get $6.25 per dozen. *IF* I sell them!! And, that's not counting the cost of brooding them, the coop, or any supplies such as waterers, etc.

Talk about chicken math!!!

Back
Top Bottom