First egg?

goose321

Songster
6 Years
Sep 11, 2017
Hello I have a goose that may be having her first egg. I have been feeding mazuri waterfowl maintenance feed and have not yet offered oyster shell as she wasn’t supposed to start laying till summer. Just wondering what I should be keeping an eye out for in terms of egg bound and also what I can feed her now to ensure a hard shell. I cannot get oyster shell for another couple days so was going to crush the shells of store bought eggs but I came across an article saying that you should only crush and feed back to them their own egg shells and since this is her first egg I don’t have any to crush. Also is there anyway of knowing if she is actually going to lay? Thanks very much. Any help appreciated as I have no clue what to do.

Is she looking at possible nest sites? My two geese are looking at nest sites but she hasn’t settled in on one yet to see if she likes it. How old is your goose? Breeding and egg laying season for geese is now till sometime in May depending on where your located. Mine haven’t started into breeding yet but shouldn’t be much longer. As for feed just keep on with what your feeding then add the oyster shell in a couple days when you can get some it’s very inexpensive. Place a bowl close by her feed bowl and she’ll use it as needed.

Last edited:
Is she looking at possible nest sites? My two geese are looking at nest sites but she hasn’t settled in on one yet to see if she likes it. How old is your goose? Breeding and egg laying season for geese is now till sometime in May depending on where your located. Mine haven’t started into breeding yet but shouldn’t be much longer. As for feed just keep on with what your feeding then add the oyster shell in a couple days when you can get some it’s daily inexpensive. Place a bowl close by her feed bowl and she’ll use it as needed.
She is 2 1/2 years old and no isn’t looking for a nest as far as I can see. I thought that she was going to lay because her abdomen seems firm and larger that usual. You don’t recommend giving store bought egg shells then? It will be Friday before I can get oyster shell. If she lays before I can get oyster shell, does that mean she will have an egg with a soft shell?

I doubt she’ll have a soft shell before she starts on oyster shell. You can give her crushed store bought eggs shells but once she starts laying you’ll want to be sure to have oyster shell for her. It has more calcium. Her body is most likely just getting prepared for what’s ahead.

No egg yet. I weighed her this morning and she has definitely gained weight in the last week or two. Is it normal for them to gain weight in breeding season. I gave her the oyster shell and she didn’t seem interested in it but I will keep it down to her. Do you guys switch your geese to a Breeder feed after the first egg or just continue on with normal feed? I thought that Breeder feed was just to increase egg production but I’m not sure. Thanks for all your help

Well congrats!! Now what? Are you going to have goose omelet or leave it and hope she goes broody eventually? Do you have a gander?

Last edited:
No I don’t have a gander so I took it from her. She didn’t seem to mind. Not sure what I am going to do with it. Just happy it has a hard shell.

Back
Top Bottom