First Egg!

britinpa

Songster
Jun 22, 2020
Central Pennsylvania
Our pullets are in their 19th week and we got our first egg today! My son spotted it almost smack bang in the middle of their outside run. It's small but I assume we can still eat it?- the shell is nice and hard. I have no idea which of them layed it - I assume it could be one of the larger girls of the bunch. I bought some fake eggs a while back, but misplaced them, so need to get some more to put in their nesting boxes and hope they'll start laying in there. Will the layer of this egg be laying every day from now on?

Attachments

• chickens.6.jpg
    chickens.6.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Our pullets are in their 19th week and we got our first egg today! My son spotted it almost smack bang in the middle of their outside run. It's small but I assume we can still eat it?- the shell is nice a hard. I have no idea which of them layed it - I assume it could be one of the larger girls of the bunch. I bought some fake eggs a while back, but misplaced them, so need to get some more to put in their nesting boxes and hope they'll start laying in there. Will the layer of this egg be laying every day from now on?
Congratulations!!! So cool. It must be a wonderful feeling. I hope you start getting more.

Congrats, first eggs are always exciting!
And yes, you can eat it!
She probably won’t lay every day when she first starts, they speed up the longer they’ve been laying :)
Congratulations. First eggs are fun. Some hens start and immediately lay daily, others gradually increase their production. Yes it is good to eat.
Thank you! Do you all wipe your eggs clean? It looks like they've been walking over this and it's a bit grubby. I read not to run them under the tap as it invites bacteria into the egg

Thank you! Do you all wipe your eggs clean? It looks like they've been walking over this and it's a bit grubby. I read not to run them under the tap as it invites bacteria into the egg

Rinse and scrub under lukewarm water (anything warmer than temperature of egg itself), refrigerate if not using immediately, and it should be good to go. Eggs laid in a run do tend to get dirty but not enough that they aren't edible.

When they’re dirty, I wash with soap and water. You’re right about the bacteria, so once they’re washed they have to go in the fridge. The ones that don’t get dirty, I store on an egg-holder on the cabinet. Those I wash right before using.

Rinse and scrub under lukewarm water (anything warmer than temperature of egg itself), refrigerate if not using immediately, and it should be good to go. Eggs laid in a run do tend to get dirty but not enough that they aren't edible.
When they’re dirty, I wash with soap and water. You’re right about the bacteria, so once they’re washed they have to go in the fridge. The ones that don’t get dirty, I store on an egg-holder on the cabinet. Those I wash right before using.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom