First egg

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by whatdacluck, Aug 22, 2010.

1. whatdacluck

whatdacluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Co Wexford
    Well 2 weeks and four days later, one of my hens has laid it's first egg... waahey!!!!
    I was out this morning and when I came home some of the hens were on their roosts in the coop... unusual for this time of day I said, but had a hunch there was something going on. I checked the nest box about ten mins later and there was an egg. Well I can tell you I was delighted. As I thought about it during the day, I came to the conclusion that the other hens were up on their roosts and inside the coop to give support to the laying hen.... Now could this be???
    Anyone have anything similar happen?
    Love to hear your views on this one.
    Pat
    [​IMG]

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    It's always fun getting THE 1st egg [​IMG].

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It is possible that is what the other hens where doing. I haven't had my girls do this, but I have also had them all since they were day old chicks. Congratulations on you first egg.

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    [​IMG] enjoy Them! [​IMG]

5. redturtle

redturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    mine do it also...and sometimes a hen will hop in the box w/ the one laying...just to give a little comfort and support.... [​IMG] and i am right there too if i happen to see them in the box...cheering them on....lol

6. whatdacluck

whatdacluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Co Wexford
    My two black hens are laying an egg a day each now, no sign of the red hens laying though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by