First flock - feeling like a lousy chicken parent

Some chicks are just weak and fail to thrive... nothing really can truly help no matter how perfect you treat them. @tpatricco I can tell that you're a very thoughtful and conscientious person. You are learning and doing everything you can, it's the best anyone can ask for. Everyone has problems and losses along the way, that's how we become better caretakers. Keeping chickens is a wonderful and rewarding hobby, though sometimes we have to suffer through a bit, not for the faint of heart!
View attachment 1777970

Thank you - so I'm learning firsthand. My 8 year old son is learning too...trying to help him understand that sometimes no matter how much we do the right thing it might not be enough is harder.

Thank you! I'm curious for advice on the Coccidosis. They are on the medicated feed - and I have tried to keep their brooder clean - but obviously plenty of opportunities to eat poop. I have Corid - and could treat the rest of the flock if warranted.

The two listless little ones - One was a Cochin and the other a Gold laced Wyandotte - they were definitely the youngest. - I just wasn't sure if it was failure to thrive or just being weak in the group.

Of the remaining 6 - 3 are in the 3.5 week old range, 2 are probably just under 3 weeks and 1 is another 1.5 week old - but she seems to be fine - engaged with the others, eating, drinking, active...

I think if it was coccidosis you'd see some evidence in the brooder itself though, like super stinky diarrhea, lack of appetite, etc... I'd be much more likely to suspect respiratory illness like infectious bronchitis or aspergillosis. The former is more likely than the latter, as the chicks probably haven't had any exposure to the kind of fungus spores that cause aspergillosis.

Did you clean out the entire brooder and disinfect it - brooder lamp and all - with bleach (removing all infected bedding) after treating the sick chicks? Otherwise you could still have illness cultivating in the brooder. Bubbly breathing is never a good sign in really small infant animals, it usually signifies pneumonia. So by the time you have bubbly breathing you have a significant problem, and the immune systems of the chicks are so weak when they're first born, it doesn't take much to put them under.

These chicks came from a semi-local hatchery (50 miles from home) - I picked them up in person. Although it's a common practice, the mailing of newborn chicks seems like a lot of stress for them.

You'd be surprised. I've gotten two orders of hatchery chicks from a hatchery in Ohio and I live in Alabama - all arrived healthy and active, and have never lost one.

... when you feed the hard boiled egg, is grit available? All chickens need grit to digest any food that isn't specially formulated chicken feed (which is water soluble).

I'm going to order the grit now... any particular brand recommendation? I'm looking on Amazon. With probiotics? Without? Or should I just dig up a chunk of grass from my yard and give to them with the soil?

I'm going to order the grit now... any particular brand recommendation? I'm looking on Amazon. With probiotics? Without? Or should I just dig up a chunk of grass from my yard and give to them with the soil?
Just plain old grit. Do you have any construction sand? Or your local feed store should carry grit if you want it sooner. Some dirt or sod from your yard is perfectly fine too, I do that quite often. I think I'm a little overkill on chicken products I have at home.

Thank you - so I'm learning firsthand. My 8 year old son is learning too...trying to help him understand that sometimes no matter how much we do the right thing it might not be enough is harder.
Explaining to children can be especially difficult, I'm with you! I lost my first hen last year when I was negligent in locking up for the night... I found her body in the morning, partially left behind from an unknown predator, and I was devastated. I was also worried that the loss would affect my 6 year old daughter at school, so I talked to the school counselor to give a heads up. As I was explaining the story I broke down, and she handed me tissues and had me sit down. We talked for an hour or more then she sent me home with children's books to help my "daughter" deal with the grief. I read them all and they were quite helpful. She seemed to get over the loss much quicker than me.

I think if it was coccidosis you'd see some evidence in the brooder itself though, like super stinky diarrhea, lack of appetite, etc... I'd be much more likely to suspect respiratory illness like infectious bronchitis or aspergillosis. The former is more likely than the latter, as the chicks probably haven't had any exposure to the kind of fungus spores that cause aspergillosis.

Did you clean out the entire brooder and disinfect it - brooder lamp and all - with bleach (removing all infected bedding) after treating the sick chicks? Otherwise you could still have illness cultivating in the brooder. Bubbly breathing is never a good sign in really small infant animals, it usually signifies pneumonia. So by the time you have bubbly breathing you have a significant problem, and the immune systems of the chicks are so weak when they're first born, it doesn't take much to put them under.

You'd be surprised. I've gotten two orders of hatchery chicks from a hatchery in Ohio and I live in Alabama - all arrived healthy and active, and have never lost one.

All their poop seemed relatively consistent. They've been indoors since they arrived - so doubtful any spores. I don't even have indoor house plants.

Sounds like we need to do a much more thorough cleaning out of the brooder.

The whole mail-a-chick thing still amazes me.

I lost my first hen last year when I was negligent in locking up for the night... I found her body in the morning, partially left behind from an unknown predator, and I was devastated.

This happened to me in April with one of my poor silkie bantams, I didn't shut the run gate correctly because I was in a rush to get to an appointment, and didn't check again when I got home for the rest of the night. When I woke up in the morning I found her body on the back porch where my dogs had caught her. :(

Poultry-raising is definitely a learning curve, and I'm starting to think that losses are almost inevitable at some stage in the game.

Just plain old grit. Do you have any construction sand? Or your local feed store should carry grit if yo want it sooner. Some dirt or sod from your yard is perfectly fine too, I do that quite often. I think I'm a little overkill on chicken products I have at home.

I'm very good at buying everything. You should see my chicken first aid kit (and my coop). :D The feed store is not as close as I'd like, but I can figure out something at home in the short term.

Explaining to children can be especially difficult, I'm with you! I lost my first hen last year when I was negligent in locking up for the night... I found her body in the morning, partially left behind from an unknown predator, and I was devastated. I was also worried that the loss would affect my 6 year old daughter at school, so I talked to the school counselor to give a heads up. As I was explaining the story I broke down, and she handed me tissues and had me sit down. We talked for an hour or more then she sent me home with children's books to help my "daughter" deal with the grief. I read them all and they were quite helpful. My daughter seemed to get over the loss much quicker than me.

The first one he wailed and wailed over it. The second one he was sad but kind of like "oh this happens" - but he was sad this morning - kept going over to look at her. I hope he wasn't distracted by it all day at school. In the car on the way he was saying things like "maybe we're just going to have four chickens then" - (assuming this one passes, we still have 6 alive and ok for now) - so kind of self preserving comments. I feel bad - baby chickens dying left and right is tough stuff.

I like the Manna chick grit with probiotics added personally, my chicks have never had any digestive issues while using it.

Back
Top Bottom