First Flock!

CharcoalDragon

Songster
Jul 14, 2020
Hello all,

I've wanted chickens for many, many years now, and finally, my silly little dream came true! We brought home four Australorps in March, and the girls have been getting nice and red over the past week or so. I chose BAs because they're docile, cold-hardy, and good layers- though we've already started planning for our next flock. (My partner wants a GLW, and I want at least one EE.) Whoops.

Excited to learn more in order to keep our croakers (they are only clucking occasionally) happy and healthy.

Feel free to recommend your favorite breeds that ascribe to my three parameters above, and/or post pictures of your feather-babies.

Attachments

• Zer0TheChicken.jpg
    Zer0TheChicken.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 19
Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Australorps are my FAVORITE breed! I won't keep a flock without them, just super friendly like drooling puppies. They are very health and climate hardy and not only can they tolerate excessive cold and heat, but they live quite long. I've had them live to 9+ yrs old, many yrs longer than the average hatchery breed chicken.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

Hello all,

I've wanted chickens for many, many years now, and finally, my silly little dream came true! We brought home four Australorps in March, and the girls have been getting nice and red over the past week or so. I chose BAs because they're docile, cold-hardy, and good layers- though we've already started planning for our next flock. (My partner wants a GLW, and I want at least one EE.) Whoops.

Excited to learn more in order to keep our croakers (they are only clucking occasionally) happy and healthy.

Feel free to recommend your favorite breeds that ascribe to my three parameters above, and/or post pictures of your feather-babies.

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

:frow Hi and welcome! Australorps are my favorite breed that I’ve never had! Maybe soon! I got started with a couple of rehomed Salmon Faverolles, they too are great generally mellow birds. We’re so happy to have you here!
Oh yes! Faverolles were another breed that was recommended to me! We can only have a max of four at a time (local laws), so we'll have to choose carefully...

Back
Top Bottom