First hatch! Mystery eggs!

The six chicks that hatched have made it through the night:

I had two sticky chicks, and one of the sticky ones also had some unabsorbed yolk. I wrapped the one with the yolk problem in warm, wet paper towels for about five hours, which worked for the yolk but made its sticky feathers look just awful, so I gave it a bath with a little Dawn dish soap and put it in the brooder still damp. I didn't wash the other sticky one, since it didn't look as bad. This morning, the one I washed looks great, but the crusty one isn't as energetic as the rest of them - he's alert and responsive, but doesn't play like the other chicks - he mostly just rests under the lamp. Once I post this, I'm going to give him a bath and see if that helps.

Some of the eggs that didn't hatch looked a couple of days behind in development, and have for a while, so I'm probably going to give them until Sunday before I pull the plug, but for all of the growing pains I went through with this hatching experiment, and the age of the eggs when I started, I'm calling six chicks a success!

The other little sticky guy has had his bath, and I dried him as best I could with a microfiber towel. The heat lamp did the rest of the job, and now it's hard to tell which chicks were sticky. Dawn dish soap works wonders I guess? The little guy is showing a lot more energy now that the feathers are fluffed up a bit, so I guess maybe it was cold without the down being fluffy enough to insulate it.

Does anyone think it will be a problem to just keep using paper towels to line the brooder, or should I put in some pine shavings or something? I don't want them to have foot or leg problems, but I also don't want them getting their craws full of litter either. Right now I'm putting down fresh paper towels twice a day and sprinkling a bit of 20% non-medicated starter on the floor, besides keeping the feeder full of the same. They're all eating and drinking just fine.

I also made a little futon for them by covering a sponge with black duct tape, to give them a little "hot spot" that soaks up the heat instead of just the white paper towels reflecting it all, and a couple of them seem to like taking naps with their heads resting on it. The temperature directly under the center of the lamp reads 100-104, the edge of the pool of direct light is 96, and the coldest spot in the brooder is about 82, and they move around all over, often napping just at the edge of the pool of light. The lamp is clamped to a metal support on a workbench next to the brooder, and can be raised and lowered.

Just to close out the book on this hatch, I'll post one last update. I'll put up details on how I made the incubator in the next few days in a separate thread.

I cleaned out the incubator today, and opened the remaining eggs. Six of them were fully developed, but never pipped internally - I don't know what happened, but I guess that's just the way it goes. The other four hadn't made it that far, and were apparently between days 14 and 18, just compared to a development chart.

After all the temperature trouble I had from bulb problems, bad weather and the like (the incubator was in the garage the whole time), I'm really happy to have gotten six healthy chicks out of it, and will be trying again soon.

Oh no. This is not done. We need to see these mystery birds feather out ;) congrats on 6 healthy chicks! Would you consider keeping the incubator in the house or basement next time? You might find it easier to maintain temps and might give you a better hatch. Btw really love the chick with the yellowish head. Would like to see what it turns into!

Oh no. This is not done. We need to see these mystery birds feather out
wink.png
congrats on 6 healthy chicks! Would you consider keeping the incubator in the house or basement next time? You might find it easier to maintain temps and might give you a better hatch. Btw really love the chick with the yellowish head. Would like to see what it turns into!

Okay, okay! Their wing feathers are starting to come in a bit, which makes them look quite funny to me, but I'll post more pics as they grow. I don't really have a spot for the incubator in the house, but I'm buying a thermostat before I hatch again, which should take care of it. The one that looks yellowish is actually grey, but looks yellow because I'm using a bug light in the lamp. I'm looking forward to see what that one turns out like too!

Ooo yes! Love the silver one. Please up date us when he gets feathered out. I had my first hatch ever this weekend. 15 set and 14 hatched. The one is still in the incubator but i think i will pull it tomorrow. My favorite chick is this little silver. Been calling it my little "blue bird"

Back
Top Bottom