First kids - finally a pic!

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
One of my goats, Holly, who is half boer half nubian, just had her kids, and it is a first experience for me. I am just wondering if she has enough milk for them, and how can I tell. I am concerned only because a friend of mine had one of the teats on his goat dry up shortly after kidding, and she was unable to feed both her kids. She rejected one of her kids in the process, keeping only one that she could take care of. So anyway, I got some colostrum from the feed store and am prepared if I need to feed the kids.

So what should I watch for? anything? or am I just overly concerned and need to just let nature take its course?

Last edited:
As long as your kids are thriving - perky, not overly noisy and gaining weight - then there is no need to worry.

The big thing to watch for is the doe getting too full with milk. That is often why they dry up (too full, then kids can't nurse because the teats become too large, then the does get very sore and reject the kids, then the doe gets mastitis, etc etc). So just make sure her udder doesn't get tight (hard) and hot...and if it seems too hard, milk her out until she's softer but not empty.

Pics??
wink.png

Try and make sure the babies are each nursing a teat. Also I agree with Kate there just keep a eye on her udder. If it gets lopsided then they are both nursing of the same side.

So far so good! They seem to be nursing on both sides. Here is a pic of them. The one on the left is Delilah and the right one is Sampson:

14434_sampsonanddelilah.jpg

Back
Top Bottom