First night in coop, questions

showjumper_girl2002

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Florida
So tonight is the first night my 2 cream legbar pullets will be staying in their coop! It's probably silly but I'm nervous for them lol. They are 6-7 weeks old. They won't roost/sit on the perches and peep like crazy when I go to check on them. Is that normal for a chicks first time in the coop? Their peeping makes me feel so bad :( I put water in with them but not their food, should I put their food in too? I'm sure I'm probably over thinking all this and just being paranoid, but I just want to make sure they're comfortable and I do everything right.

So tonight is the first night my 2 cream legbar pullets will be staying in their coop! It's probably silly but I'm nervous for them lol. They are 6-7 weeks old. They won't roost/sit on the perches and peep like crazy when I go to check on them. Is that normal for a chicks first time in the coop? Their peeping makes me feel so bad :( I put water in with them but not their food, should I put their food in too? I'm sure I'm probably over thinking all this and just being paranoid, but I just want to make sure they're comfortable and I do everything right.

Are they alone in the coop? Most of the time chicks won't roost until they'll older. I have five eight week old chicks and only now they're starting to roost only if we put them on a bar. MOst of the time they like to sleep together in a nesting box.

As for the screaming, try one night and see how they do.

Are they alone in the coop? Most of the time chicks won't roost until they'll older. I have five eight week old chicks and only now they're starting to roost only if we put them on a bar. MOst of the time they like to sleep together in a nesting box.

As for the screaming, try one night and see how they do.

It's just the 2 of them. I know it's silly, but I'm a nervous wreck with them spending the night outside for the first time! Was so nice when they were in our tub in the brooder where I knew they were safe and sound lol I know I'm going to be checking on them all throughout the night :lol:

When moving chicks into their coop for the first time, it helps tremendously to install them early in the day. This way they have all day to explore their new home while it's still light.

If your chicks have never had to sleep in the dark, it helps to have a dim night light for the first few nights until they adjust. This also aids in helping them to learn to go inside the coop at night once you begin to let them out into their run.

Chicks are very wary of new surroundings, needing time to become comfortable with the change. It's also normal for them to be a little afraid of the dark at first, and it helps them to be comfortable in the coop while it's still light before needing to adjust to a strange place after dark.

Food and water are totally unnecessary in the coop at night. Food and water should be placed where the chicks will be spending their days.

When moving chicks into their coop for the first time, it helps tremendously to install them early in the day. This way they have all day to explore their new home while it's still light.

If your chicks have never had to sleep in the dark, it helps to have a dim night light for the first few nights until they adjust. This also aids in helping them to learn to go inside the coop at night once you begin to let them out into their run.

Chicks are very wary of new surroundings, needing time to become comfortable with the change. It's also normal for them to be a little afraid of the dark at first, and it helps them to be comfortable in the coop while it's still light before needing to adjust to a strange place after dark.

Food and water are totally unnecessary in the coop at night. Food and water should be placed where the chicks will be spending their days.

I did let them in the coop/run during the day. I couldn't lock them in the coop as I live in Florida and it would get too hot. They got used to it pretty quickly and they have been in the dark before. However, they sure didn't seem to be too happy about getting locked in the coop for bed time lol. I did put them in a little before dark though, so they did have light for a little while. I checked on them a couple times during the night and they seemed ok. Went out at the crack of dawn this morning and, of course, they were fine :ya sure were happy to see me though :lol:

I thought that you didn't need to put the food and water in with them at night but just wanted to make sure that wasn't why they were peeping since they were used to having it available at all times in their brooder.

Chickens learn early how to guilt-trip their humans.

And they hate change of any sort, and will punish you for inflicting it on their delicate sensibilities.

Always remember this.

And keep reminding yourself humans are smarter than chickens.

I love the way you put that! :lau

At 4 weeks, we moved our birds to the coop. Food and water inside for 3 weeks, but open to the run daily. The pullets would crowd in a nest box around the waterer. So after 2 weeks of that, I blocked off the nest boxes. They had the choice of roost or corner and the first couple of nights it was split. All are now roosting at 8 weeks and I pulled the water out.

The first couple of days, we put them all to bed early in the coop. the 3rd day. I put half up. The fourth day 2 and fifth day only one was wandering around the run calling. After that, I go out and close the door about 8:30. Late enough the sun is setting, but early enough I don't need a flashlight. Really is a neat trick.

And just like dogs, they are always hungry - until you offer them something they don't want. HaHa. Just like toddlers. I want candy, not vegetables.

In the past I liked to give my babies a low roost to sit on (I'd put a painted 2x4 board on the floor of the coop but not under the roosting hens) to get them used to roosting. But since I've started letting broody hens raise the babies I haven't had to get involved in any of the training.

Usually young birds huddle together for safety and warmth. Once they figure out roosting, and that usually happens during their daytime adventures of playing in the coop, then they like to roost up high with the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom