First Night Outside. :)

My five week olds spent their first week in the big coop. I had to put up a wire wall to divide the coop so I could put them out there and not get pecked to death by my 3 month old Buff Orps. Hopefully they will get used to each other in the next few weeks so I can put them together and put my now one week olds on one side.

My one week olds spent their first night outside last night. I put the brooder out in the shed with a heat lamp and they were fine. It's been high 80's during the day and high 50's at night. They spent their first week in the house in a cardboard box. The brooder has a wire opening in the front and they are having a blast sitting there watching the world go by today.

Well they've been outside for two nights now. They seem fine. At least they're all perky when they seem me ...AND I cheated. I went and bought a wireless web cam ...yeah ..just to see my chickens - and to watch and make sure they're ok. Using that, I've watched them and they see perfectly fine under the heat lamp and they do get up and do their scratching and pecking. ..and eating and drinking.

We've got 6 girls that are 4 weeks old, and 6 that are 3 weeks. They're all in a brooder together right now, so if the nighttime temps are up by next weekend, they may all 12 go outside. They are really getting cramped in the brooder and making a BIG mess, so I think they'll love going outside and spreading out. I don't think I could convince the husband to do the web cam thing though.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom