First night without heat lamp

Jomini

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 26, 2014
East Texas "Marshall"
My babies are 5 weeks old. It's only going to get down to 63 tonight. I don't think I will leave the heat lamp on for them tonight. Should I just put a regular light bulb in the coop for them and leave it on all night so they won't be in the dark, or just let them be in the dark?

Following
caf.gif

I'm no expert, but I'm one who thinks that they can't regulate their internal clocks without a true day and night cycle. Mine have been without light since their first night out in the coop when they were 6 weeks old, and average nighttime temps were in the mid-20s. I turned off the heat lamp in the brooder when they were almost fully feathered and left a window cracked open. They did beautifully and they have thrived. I have electricity in the coop, but it's more for me if I have to do my chicken chores later for some reason, and to run the exhaust fan. It's been almost 4 weeks with absolutely no problems, and we haven't hit a night in the 40s yet.

This made me giggle a little bit. Mine just turned 5 weeks old yesterday and they've been outside with no heat lamp for a little over a week and it gets down to the high 30's at night. Your chicks will be fine with no light :)

Oh well this is my first batch of chickens EVER.. Maybe im alittle overprotective.. Oh well they sure are some spoiled happy chicks.. Thanks for the replies... I guess it Did seem like a trivial thread starter after i see ya'lls chicks are doin fine at 30 degrees.. I have learned so much from this forum.

Oh well this is my first batch of chickens EVER.. Maybe im alittle overprotective.. Oh well they sure are some spoiled happy chicks.. Thanks for the replies... I guess it Did seem like a trivial thread starter after i see ya'lls chicks are doin fine at 30 degrees.. I have learned so much from this forum.
Never be embarrassed by asking any question. I'm not much more experienced than you are - got my first chicks in February. And don't let my cavalier answer worry you - truth be told I couldn't wait to get them outside. Then, when I did, I had a wireless remote thermometer in there and checked it constantly. When I went to bed, I figured I'd drift off into peaceful, no-more-chicks-in-the-house blissful sleep. Um, I didn't. The coop is not that far from my bedroom window - probably 15-20 feet just because that's how the layout of the yard demanded we build it here in town. I dozed off, then jumped up to check the thermometer and look in on them. I dozed off again, then got up to check once more. The last time I dozed off, and then I crawled out to check. As I shivered under the quilts trying to get warmed back up, I decided enough was enough. They were fine, and they'd be fine whether I froze my tushie off or not. And finally I dozed off and stayed dozed off.

The next batch of chicks will start out in the coop using the brooder outside method. And I probably won't sleep much that night either, but it will get easier.

Back
Top Bottom