First pair of Geese

@chickenenthusiasts5698 thank you, there’s really great small feed stores and there’s really awful small feed stores, I’m sorry you had to expierience one of those. I guess the one upside is that you know what to watch out for and give a wide berth once you’ve seen it.

Thanks for the info I definitely have a lot of questions. I love Nutrena feeds I currently feed the naturewise 16% layer pellets to the layer birds and the naturewise 18% chick starter for all my bantam breeds/chicks but I was thinking about changing them from chick to all flock because crumble gets messy. Since they’re in with my chickens I have a small “pool” that’s 100% temporary once they get acclimated I plan to free range them most of the day and they will have 2 kiddie pools to themselves. Do hawks mess with geese? I can’t even imagine them messing with Geese because they’re really intimidating I don’t have any other day predators than stupid hawks..I will also be adding bird netting to a lot of my yard.I have 2 3 gallon bowl for the to dunk their heads into and the “pool”. How often should I change pool water? What types of snacks do they love? Thanks for all the help!
I change the water once or twice every day in warm weather. I change it when the day is warm enough that I can pry the hose out of the snow (I stretch it out to drain it) in winter. Usually at least once a week. The tank deicer keeps it unfrozen, but it’s still very cold so I don’t worry too much. Mostly it just has mud in the bottom... five minutes after I fill it, it has mud in the bottom. :rolleyes: I use 2 bushel-size at least, to keep the muck in lesser proportion to the water.

Can I ask why?
They need water to clear out their nares, so you shouldn’t give them food without water and they make an awful mess with water in the coop.

They’re only in their coop at night no matter the weather and mostly won’t go/stay in at night unless you herd them in and close the doors. And it’s REALLY cold here sometimes. They don’t care. Neither do my ducks. I leave the coops’ doors open partway. Nobody goes in except my some of my bachelor roos who currently live with the turkeys and waterfowl. It keeps the food dry in snowstorms—that’s about it.

If you do shut them in at night, it’s just a lot easier not to give them food or water. They’re supposed to be sleeping. They don’t need it.

Our predator pressure so far is light so I’m okay with mine sleeping in the fenced yard if that’s what they want. The water is in a big tub (not big enough for swimming) at the low end of the run with a bucket deicer in it. Having it separated from the food keeps them going back and forth, getting exercise on days when I don’t let them out to free range. It also gives the other (BIGGER) birds a chance to get a bite. The geese are the kings and the ducks are the dukes. Nobody else eats until they’re satisfied. No, not even the mature tom turkeys.
:gig Waterfowl have some kinda attitude! :gig

They’re supposed to be sleeping. They don’t need it.

The water is in a big tub (not big enough for swimming) at the low end of the run with a bucket deicer in it.

Couple of questions if I may (i'm getting a pair in spring too, toulouse)

1. What time is bedtime for Geese? I'll be letting them out in a morning to graze but don't want to shut them away too early if they like being out, but obviously i want to make sure they're safe before I go to bed myself.

2. De-Icer in ther water? Great for it not freezing I guess but it seems a bit, well, dangerous to me? Can't argue with people that keep geese already I suppose.

Couple of questions if I may (i'm getting a pair in spring too, toulouse)

1. What time is bedtime for Geese? I'll be letting them out in a morning to graze but don't want to shut them away too early if they like being out, but obviously i want to make sure they're safe before I go to bed myself.

2. De-Icer in ther water? Great for it not freezing I guess but it seems a bit, well, dangerous to me? Can't argue with people that keep geese already I suppose.

They'll go to bed around sunset. If you feed them in the evening you can easily train them to go in at night.

I wouldn't mess with a de-icer. Geese like to chew, some breeds more than others. If they can get to the power cord they will likely chew it. I'd just give them water in rubber pans and bust the ice out. For just 2 geese, one pan should do fine.

Back
Top Bottom