First pair of Geese

Nov 22, 2019
NC
I bought my first pair of Geese today from a friend i’ve been wanting them a few months now and went out of a whim and got them (last time it was turkeys) but i’ve never raised geese before I had ducks before in the past but I wasn’t a fan of them. So i’d like any helpful tips or suggestions. Thanks!

Attachments

• 4E412D75-E86D-4ED2-BB5D-9B6F7294574F.jpeg
    4E412D75-E86D-4ED2-BB5D-9B6F7294574F.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 590455BB-755E-4DCB-9B6D-1ECDE0E035F3.jpeg
    590455BB-755E-4DCB-9B6D-1ECDE0E035F3.jpeg
    444.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 79F808E1-9485-4B2D-96DF-B6F41EAB6091.jpeg
    79F808E1-9485-4B2D-96DF-B6F41EAB6091.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 15
Let's see...goose care 101

*Feed- I use an all flock pellet made by Nutrena, but there are many different brands that offer it. Any of the all flock/flock raiser is what you should look for. This time of year when grazing is at a minimum, I've been keeping an eye on the clearance produce. Anything green is a fave of the geese.

*Water- Constant supply, deep enough to dunk their whole head. They enjoy baby pools to clean themselves also.

*Shelter- Mine roam all day and only use their beds at night (sometimes). However, depending on your location and predators, it's a good idea for them to be locked up safely overnight. The biggest concern with any waterfowl housing is that it stays dry.

That's a very broad, general overview of it...any particular questions would be easier :D
We've got a lot of great goose people here so don't hesitate to ask..and share lots of pics!! :D

I know..keeping poultry seems so common too.

I know right, a new vet just opened business near where I live, I got excited because years ago there was a farm vet who used to work at the same location. NOPE! She only sees cats and dogs. There are five other vets in the vicinity and they only see cats and dogs too.

The most helpful tip I can think of at the moment is, #1 never feed goslings “should you have them come spring” medicated feed, it’s toxic to them, and #2 research a good poultry vet in your area.

That's a myth. I've fed my goslings medicated chick feed for nearly 20 years with no I'll effects.

Let's see...goose care 101

*Feed- I use an all flock pellet made by Nutrena, but there are many different brands that offer it. Any of the all flock/flock raiser is what you should look for. This time of year when grazing is at a minimum, I've been keeping an eye on the clearance produce. Anything green is a fave of the geese.

*Water- Constant supply, deep enough to dunk their whole head. They enjoy baby pools to clean themselves also.

*Shelter- Mine roam all day and only use their beds at night (sometimes). However, depending on your location and predators, it's a good idea for them to be locked up safely overnight. The biggest concern with any waterfowl housing is that it stays dry.

That's a very broad, general overview of it...any particular questions would be easier :D
We've got a lot of great goose people here so don't hesitate to ask..and share lots of pics!! :D
Thanks for the info I definitely have a lot of questions. I love Nutrena feeds I currently feed the naturewise 16% layer pellets to the layer birds and the naturewise 18% chick starter for all my bantam breeds/chicks but I was thinking about changing them from chick to all flock because crumble gets messy. Since they’re in with my chickens I have a small “pool” that’s 100% temporary once they get acclimated I plan to free range them most of the day and they will have 2 kiddie pools to themselves. Do hawks mess with geese? I can’t even imagine them messing with Geese because they’re really intimidating I don’t have any other day predators than stupid hawks..I will also be adding bird netting to a lot of my yard.I have 2 3 gallon bowl for the to dunk their heads into and the “pool”. How often should I change pool water? What types of snacks do they love? Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom