first pipped chick dead w/ yellow goo!

alicat4

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Arkie
Hi, I'm brand new, and want to introduce myself, but that'll have to wait. This is urgent and I really need an answer tonight or early AM. I'm dry incubating 45 eggs and we're on day 20. I've sealed it up day 18 and haven't opened it. Went to check on things tonight and one had a hole in it, but the chick inside is definitely NOT moving and there's yellow-greenish goo all around it inside the egg. What went wrong? Do I open the incubator and get it out so it doesn't contaminate the others? Did it pip or is it an exploder? None of the others have pipped thru, but one other appears to have a crack. Is this a portent of things to come?? HELP!

Unfortunately, what you are describing is most likely an exploded egg and it may have already contaminated the others.

If you can get in and out quick you might be OK but I'm not expecting miracles. Sorry.

OK, I got it out. It was on the edge, so I had the bator open for about 2 seconds. It had absolutely no smell...does that happen with exploders? I also hear cheeping and the one I thought was pipping, I'm more sure now that it is. The liquid in the egg with the first one was very watery. I know I haven't over humidified...learned my lesson on that one. At the last candling (day 18), the air cells were the perfect size and the eggs had lost 14% of their weight. HMMM....any thoughts? Still think it's an exploder? There was no visible liquid outside the egg. It honestly looked like a nice size pip, no other cracks in the shell. I hope they make it...I'm going to have to do a lot of explaining to my kids if this batch fails, too.

That's kind of what I wondered. Does that happen? I didn't open the egg on out...not usually queasy, but wouldn't sleep well at all if it was really gross. What would cause a chick to pip a yolk? Blood mixed into it would give it that greenish cast maybe. Oh, and one more thing to note...on day 11 my automatic turner broke and since it took me about a day to figure that out, the eggs didn't get turned for at least 24 hours but no more than a day and a half. Could that be the problem?

Last edited:
No, the turner didnt have anything to do with the yellow goo. Yes, they can accidently pip their yolk sack. It's just bad luck... and the green was most likely a bacterial infection in the egg.

Back
Top Bottom