First roo at 3 weeks?

BigECart

Songster
Jul 3, 2020
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
My McMurray chicks shipped April 10. 6 pullets + 1 mystery chick. The bonus chick is a white crested black polish. I’m thinking that the golden campine is a roo - comb came out of nowhere and is already starting to get pink. So hopefully the polish will be a hen. At 3 weeks, I know it’s to early to sex reliably, but here they are:

Axyl (WCBP) on the right, and La Poulette (Black French Copper Marans) on the left.
DC80F3D2-75B3-401A-A03B-E7EB2EA60F91.jpeg

Buttercup in the front and Silver Leghorn in the back.
1F79EB75-FD8C-452A-A0D8-B1B77E11A6B9.jpeg

Better picture of the Buttercup
79EB98A4-A448-4102-AE0D-A22BC711C772.jpeg

And here is my suspect roo, golden campine
59DEE590-6B0A-453F-B0AA-B42917416D21.jpeg

443DD394-FADD-4593-A2D2-056A540A34A1.jpeg

97DBAC20-8938-4411-9C08-A4B6974C6F48.jpeg

Posting on my phone is not easy. You can see the head of the Egyptian Fayoumi in the second from last picture - she’s very skittish. And my crazy Ancona, Cruella, is in the last picture.

So cute! Yes, it’s early to sex them with confidence, but I think you’re right about the roo.

296ADC9B-95AC-4F9B-B244-77BE79973AF4.jpeg

We have officially changed Goldie’s name to King Midas. His comb continues to grow and get pinker by the day. I’m hoping the polish (Axl) turns out to be a pullet - that little bugger is already pecking at me. But he’s my mystery chick, so odds are not in my favor. The chick in front is a buttercup and I have no reason to question her gender. 3.5 weeks old.

Hello!

I think you’re right about your golden camping being a cockerel. His comb looks too big at this age to be a female.

I find polish chickens to be hard to sex at this age, because they have a different type of comb, and their hackle and saddle feathers aren’t developed yet. I once had a white crested blue polish that ended up being a cockerel, although I only ever saw him crow a few times, all on the same day within a span of about 30 minutes or so. He never crowed again after that :idunno.

But I’m wondering, did the hatchery send you the extra chick as a ‘packing peanut’, a replacement, or was it simply a mistake? Often times the ‘packing peanut’ chicks are cockerels—I hope that’s not the case though! :fl

But I’m wondering, did the hatchery send you the extra chick as a ‘packing peanut’, a replacement, or was it simply a mistake? Often times the ‘packing peanut’ chicks are cockerels—I hope that’s not the case though! :fl
This was my third order with Murray McMurray hatchery. They offer a free rare breed chick with each order. This chick is unsexed. I think they used to be straight run, but I believe that now they are a mix of unsold straight run and roos. So I am assuming that the bonus chick (which I opted to have included) is a roo, although there is a slight chance that it could be female. The Campine is the first chick from McMurray that was mis-sexed, which isn’t bad for 21 chicks.

Back
Top Bottom