First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Do you have pictures of your mixed babies? Are you happy with them? What's your plans with them? Is there anything else you plan to do to get a "better" or different offspring?
I am happy with them.
I plan, if the 3 F1 cockerels can breed, to mate them with everything I have LOL
ya.gif

need a bachelor pad for the F2 cockerels for that though
he.gif
4 (19 wks) BJG cockerels are driving every one nuts now.

trying to decide who to mate with the CX hen and F1 pullet .. choices are:
1 daddy mix roo
2. BJG cockerels ( same mix roo daddy) , but it has been said the JG wasn't a good result
3. BR mix cockerel (same mix roo daddy) , someone said the BR was a good results
4. F1 cockerel

not the best pics.. and I have not weighed

itty bitty about the same size as BR

a few weeks old

today's pics in the mud hole

top blk pullet is BR mix, white is CX pullet

BR mix cockerel behind CX F1 cockerel

For those of you that have raised CX to laying age and beyond. What type of feeding regimen did you follow? I'll be picking up some chicks the end of February to begin my breeding project. Also, what age do they start laying?
I fed every day. I could not make them starve for a day. Keep in mind this is an old chart. Today's chicks will be larger, faster. This chart was also developed for Broiler "breeder" stock which is different from your end product. Cobb500 poultry has a female line and a male line.

http://www.cobb-vantress.com/products/cobb-500 use this website as a reference in rearing your stock.
http://www.cobb-vantress.com/docs/d...gement-supplement---(english)3CA513F5C35A.pdf

Last edited:
For those of you that have raised CX to laying age and beyond. What type of feeding regimen did you follow? I'll be picking up some chicks the end of February to begin my breeding project. Also, what age do they start laying?
My CX hen lived to almost a year old. She laid her first egg at 16 weeks. I fed her twice per day. She lived with my two silkie hens, so I just put enough in the feeder for the 3 of them to get enough. Then she was free to roam about all day and munch whatever she found.

She did not lay regularly but I mostly just kept her to learn if I could keep her alive and for how long. She was so very sweet. I miss her still!

My CX hen lived to almost a year old.  She laid her first egg at 16 weeks.  I fed her twice per day.  She lived with my two silkie hens, so I just put enough in the feeder for the 3 of them to get enough.  Then she was free to roam about all day and munch whatever she found.

She did not lay regularly but I mostly just kept her to learn if I could keep her alive and for how long.  She was so very sweet.  I miss her still!

I almost got mine to two yesrs old. Believe it or not my aunt had a CX hen that was 3 1/2 years old but a fox came and killed her one day....

This is Betty. She is turning 2. Her date of hatch was 02/06/2015. Her eggs weigh between 69g and 75g. She doubles on occasion but not often.
I hatched 22 chicks by Betty in 2016 and 25 by her in 2015. As with everyone's hens, Betty went broody or I would have hatched more. I have saved back at least four of her daughters.

This is Betty. She is turning 2. Her date of hatch was 02/06/2015. Her eggs weigh between 69g and 75g. She doubles on occasion but not often.
I hatched 22 chicks by Betty in 2016 and 25 by her in 2015. As with everyone's hens, Betty went broody or I would have hatched more. I have saved back at least four of her daughters.

was she able to brood her own? I am wondering if she would break the eggs?

was she able to brood her own? I am wondering if she would break the eggs?
I had so many broodys at once they were tromping on the eggs. If she was alone, i believe she would have been fine. I never saw her crush an egg. The fire ants got all the chicks but one. Its why I incubate.

Last edited:
I like the basket nests, I should get them for the toads.

I weighed my 2 week old toads today. 10.10 ounces. Not bad for a 2 week old chick to top 1/2 pound. THEy are still really active. I also moved them outside. I need the indoor brooder for the next batch.

Back
Top Bottom