First Shipped Eggs-Blessed!!! (Pics)

Quote:
I dont think there is anything you can see by candling eggs prior to incubation otherwise we all wouldnt have to wait a week to find out if our eggs were fertile. I have some darm Maran eggs but witht he right flashlight, I could see right through them by day 8-9. You should be able to see veins at 4-5 days.

Heard you should candle shipped eggs before setting to look for small cracks that might have happened during shipping?

Quote:
I dont think there is anything you can see by candling eggs prior to incubation otherwise we all wouldnt have to wait a week to find out if our eggs were fertile. I have some darm Maran eggs but witht he right flashlight, I could see right through them by day 8-9. You should be able to see veins at 4-5 days.

Heard you should candle shipped eggs before setting to look for small cracks that might have happened during shipping?

Yeah I guess you could do that. I just meant you cannot tell if a egg is fertile by candling it before you place it in the incubator other then to crack it open.

Eggs should rest for about 24 hours before setting-to allow air cells to rest and hopefully stay put from all the shipping jostling
you should candle the eggs to look for cracks and breaks-floating air cells and scrambeling
you cannot tell fertility of an egg by candling only after they have been incubating for 5-7 days can you tell fertility and see growth
If you dont see growth by day 7 that does not mean the egg wasn't fertile-it simply means that shipping was too rough and the integrity of the egg and fertility was degraded-hence no growth-could mean they or some werent fertilized but the reality is shipping is a gamble and can be truly rough for an egg to survive to hatchability
on shipped eggs if you get anything around 50% to hatch you are doing great! Some folks get higher percentages depending on how far eggs were shipped and how well packed-but at -the same time if your eggs were handed to you you might have a bad hatch too:( It's all a gamble-truly it is.
eggs that are 10 days old don't mean they are too old to hatch -just that their hatchability has been compromised some... After day 10 signs of fertility diminish-they could have been fertile and would have hatched great if set at day 5 but by day 10 not as much-but certainly can have great results
On a good note I have done all sorts of experiments
hatched 3 weeks old eggs from fridge ( 28/30) were fertile and grew to hatch
hatched 4 week old very porous eggs ( 3/4) grew to hatch
hatched cracked eggs-1/2 made it
all with descent results-none of these were shipped though-my own eggs so that makes a difference too

I wish you the best -sounds like you can have a great hatch since all eggs were intact and oldest egg was 10 days old-
thumbsup.gif

And since all we ever hear are bad things about the Post Office, it's nice to hear when everything goes the way it's supposed to. No-one jumps up and down when things go the way they should, but on the occasions when accidents happen, everyone jumps up and down... Congrats on your eggs, hope they all hatch....

Quote:
Oh my gosh!! Thank you!! Floating aircells... What does that mean? I have some!! What do I do with them??

Theres nothing you can about the floating air cells:( just let the eggs rest for as long as you can stand it-preferably 24 hours. SOMETIMES they can reattach themselves/and become stable and sometimes not BUT that doesnt mean the egg isnt hatchable- I have hatched many floating aircells-patience is all -only handle those eggs when you HAVE to or need to=like for candling. I only candle at day 6-7/day 12 and putting them into lockdown-the more you handle and candle the more the aircells will move around and such--good luck
thumbsup.gif

artathart - have followed on one of your hatchings...are you going to hatch in egg cartons? is this the manner you have chosen? dry incubation? I was on the same PAGE with you but never heard of the end results...have 41 eggs in lockdown now in egg cartons ..have a acurite thermometor/humidity thing its long and large...filled up only empty space in bator...did not put it in , on evening of Day one I slipped it in was too concerned at not knowing the humidity...It registers 60 this am (day 2) now my concern is will the chicks burn themselves on it? have many "I don't knows" first time hatcher but will know Sunday the end results....what cha think!!!!

Quote:

I am not going to hatch in egg cartons. Its just not a method I agree with. I know it works for many and for many it doesnt. Lots of times the egg cartons fall over when the babies are rockin and rollin. I may lay something down under the eggs. I have two incubators going right now. I have not yet finished my first dry hatch but when I do, I can let you know how it went. I am on day 15 and I still have not added any water to my LG. I have humidity right now of 42 and I put a few tablespoons in my brinsea and have 35% humidity. I hope your hatch turns out well. Did you do a dry incubation?

So glad you got your eggies all in on the surface good shape..have a great time with them because thats what its supposed to be. FUN.

I just tried sending eggs in those faom shippers tinking I finnaly have this thing figured out and this will go so well..and so excited to see how this works out, whoever made those commercial shipping foams is WONDERFUL

Heres the problem, and the nightmare begins Again..not going to say final destination of these eggs , but lets just say another horror story come to life through the Po, Why shoud I even be suprised and last time Im wasting money ..added tracking shipping confirmation and this is what it says.starts on bottom and works its way to almost nowhere, the only thing I can think is they damaged the box so badly it cant be read..roll the window down and thow the money out ..no where in part of the ball park of where they were going.., our PO lady wrote correct address she copied off box onto the confirmation ticket . I changed numbers here for recipients privacy

Label/Receipt Number: 0i30 2010 0000 4751 0169
Expected Delivery Date: April 13, 2011
Class: Priority Mail
00ae.png

Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

Your item was processed through and left our NEW ORLEANS, LA 70113 facility on April 15, 2011 at 2:23 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:

Processed through Sort Facility, April 15, 2011, 2:23 am, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70113
Missent, April 14, 2011, 5:49 pm
Sorting Complete, April 14, 2011, 9:28 am, COVINGTON, LA 70433
Missent, April 13, 2011, 9:09 am
Missent, April 13, 2011, 8:23 am
Undeliverable as Addressed, April 13, 2011, 8:11 am, PEARL RIVER, LA 70452
Arrival at Post Office, April 13, 2011, 7:23 am, PEARL RIVER, LA 70452
Processed through Sort Facility, April 11, 2011, 11:14 pm, ROCHESTER, NY 14606
Acceptance, April 11, 2011, 11:59 am, WAVERLY, NY 14892

Last edited:
I just received eggs I bought from three different BYC auctions. They all came today with magnificent shipping.
82768_perfect_packaging.jpg

Out of 39 eggs, all were great but 2.

Now to wait and see how many hatch. I appreciate all the advise!
Thanks,
Denise

Back
Top Bottom