First Three 2015 Eggs are FERTILE

Well, I didn't press him on it due to the tone of his conviction and I don't want to misquote him as we didn't really get into the why of it. What I remember him saying was that it happened once and hasn't happened again. Which I didn't truly didn't understand because his own story of the Peach mutation on his web site said that it happened in two places in the US at the same time. I am only guessing here, but I assume that the mutation came from one bloodline and THAT has not reoccurred? I guess it is not like mixing paint. But then if not this, I don't have any other particular use for them this year. Next year I will have Oaten and regular Cameo cocks for them or I will put them back with my split Cameo BS cock or sell some of them. A gal from up in Nebraska is selling hers for $200. I still need to figure out what else is in the hens backgrounds, it is obvious that some are split Pied and others BS. Some of them appear too light to be regular Cameos, I think they are lighter than pictures I have seen of Cameo hens after being sun bleached all summer. One in particular has a lot of light colored dappling on her like a WE, only test hatching will tell for sure what they have in them. Good grief, this stuff takes years to figure out, with my luck they will get too old or croak before I do figure it out.
Ok, so we breed the purple cock to cameo hens. Assuming no spontaneous mutation occurs what do you get?

Ok, so we breed the purple cock to cameo hens. Assuming no spontaneous mutation occurs what do you get?

It would help a lot if I knew what splits the Cameos had. It would also help if I could retain all the help you guys have tried to teach me about genetics and how they work.
sad.png
old.gif
I joke about my CRS but it isn't very funny.

I assume that because the cock is low percentage Spaulding that will not make much of an impact on the offspring. He is Purple BS, the Cameos I know are hiding BS, Pied, and WE so I may end up with a lot of variants? With my luck I will end up with mostly IBs.

I will make a stab at it and I am mostly guessing here. 1/4 IBs, 1/4 Purple, 1/4 Cameo, and 1/4 Cameo BS?

It would help a lot if I knew what splits the Cameos had. It would also help if I could retain all the help you guys have tried to teach me about genetics and how they work.
sad.png
old.gif
I joke about my CRS but it isn't very funny.

I assume that because the cock is low percentage Spaulding that will not make much of an impact on the offspring. He is Purple BS, the Cameos I know are hiding BS, Pied, and WE so I may end up with a lot of variants? With my luck I will end up with mostly IBs.

I will make a stab at it and I am mostly guessing here. 1/4 IBs, 1/4 Purple, 1/4 Cameo, and 1/4 Cameo BS?

I think with a Purple male all your hens will be Purple with a variety of the aforementioned pattern splits. The part that throws me is the males, but I am thinking they should all look like blues, with the various pattern splits, but will be (or at least some will be?) split to both Purple and Cameo. These are the genetically interesting males you would use to breed back and hopefully get what you would like to get. At least I think so.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Hey, you never know. Now the boys that come out of that might be interesting to work with!

I missed this post earlier. This is what I am hoping for, my main problem is going to be ID'ing the eggs when I collect them as I will not always know which hen the eggs come from. Then keeping them separated and ID'd after hatching. Worry, worry, worry....

Why change the title when the thread is in the peafowl forum?
big_smile.png

-Kathy
I did not know that. When it comes up it just shows the thread title, not the forum title. Remember I said I follow you.
big_smile.png
That way if it has to do with illnesses and all that I get to read what is asked and written.

Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom