first time and want to candle, need answers

chickensassy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Texas
first time to try candle...will the eggs get cold after being in the incubator for 7 days at a constant temp? Do I have to use a special light? How long do I keep them out of the incubator? Will the incubator eggs be in danger when I pull the lid off to candle 17 eggs? I am a nervous wreck!!!!!!!!

the eggs shouldn't get cold for the amount of time it takes to candle them. I always use a small LED light to candle. I always take them out and put them in egg cartons, put the lid back on the incubator and take the eggs to a dark room, like my bathroom that has no windows. then i candle and put them back, the temp will drop in the incubator just because you opened it but leave it get back up to temp before you start fiddling with it. a mother hen gets up every day to eat and take her poops so your eggs will be fine. you can also search this website to see if you can find any kind of home-made candling devices but i always use a simple LED flashlight. also in this forum there is a sticky on how to care for hatching eggs and there is a thread about candling that i would check out if i were you. good luck and happy hatching it is very exciting, i too am on my first incubation and they are due to hatch on friday!! i am so excited for my little fuzzy butts to come into this world!!!!!!!!

Thank you sooooooo much Koda55533 you have eased my mind a little...I will feel better if I see veins and a little black dot.

Back
Top Bottom