First time being a chick papa.

Browtine77

Hatching
Feb 15, 2016
So, a friend of mine is giving me a mama and her chicks this week. I have some questions about this. One, do I need a brooder since I will have mama? Second, will they be alright in the coop with mom or should I leave them someplace else? I'm just starting my internet browsing on this and I have a book on the way..

P.S. I already have a coop set up. Just need help with some specifics.

if you want more babies you need a rooster. you don't need a rooster just for eggs.watch mamma hen and if she's taking care of her babies keeping them warm they should be fine with her. how old are they? The babies usually eat chick starter food and hens eat layer. it wont hurt the hen to eat chicks feed but WILL hurt chicks to eat hen feed. so if you decide for her just to eat chick feed for now supplement her with oyster she'll for calcium for her eggs but don't let the chicks get the oyster shell. Congratulations on your chicken family! I hope you post pictures so we can see them! I bet they are precious!!♡♡

I plan to get a rooster in the next couple of weeks. The hen is mature but not sure exactly how old she is but the chicks haven't hatched yet. We moved into a new house a couple of years ago and I've wanted to get chickens ever since so this was the kick in the butt that I needed.

So, a friend of mine is giving me a mama and her chicks this week. I have some questions about this. One, do I need a brooder since I will have mama? Second, will they be alright in the coop with mom or should I leave them someplace else? I'm just starting my internet browsing on this and I have a book on the way..

P.S. I already have a coop set up. Just need help with some specifics.
Welcome to BYC!

Do you have other birds?
If no other birds..... you can put mama and chicks right into the coop, she will keep them warm......
......as long as your coop is dry and no strong breezes.

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome to BYC! Am I assuming correctly you have no other chickens? That the broody hen and her chicks are your first?

If so, there's no reason why you can't install her comfortably in your coop. She'll probably prefer a nest with straw or clean wood shavings that's near ground level. Provide water for her and the chicks but take care that you place rocks or marbles in the tray so the chicks can't fall in and drown. They can be very clumsy during their first week.

If you provide chick starter crumbles, that will be adequate for the first three months of their life or even longer and it doesn't hurt the hen to eat it. If you want, you can start feeding them all layer feed once the pullets begin to lay. Offer oyster shell on the side and you have it covered. Most chicks show no interest in the oyster shell, from my experience.

Excellent book to get you started: The Small Scale Poultry Flock by Harvey Ussery. Just a thought: If I were starting with a ready made family, I'd hold off on getting a roo for now. You're bound to have a few in this brood of babies. If I wanted to bring in a new roo, instead of using one of the babies, I'd wait till the pullets start laying and THEN get a roo. That way, he'll have more breeding options instead of showering the one hen with all of his love. She'll thank you for waiting!

Back
Top Bottom