First time broody hen left eggs for hours

She has not left her eggs since the roaming behavior on the first day and so I'm going to let her continue and then try candling in a few days to see is I can spot any signs of life. In the meantime, I will collect another set of eggs "just in case." Thanks all for the benefit of your experience!

I agree. It's not unusual for a new broody get off the eggs like that in the first few days. They're usually fine. Sounds like you have a good plan. I'd wait at least until day 7-10, to candle.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to someone i know. They first time her hen went broody it took a while. Everytime we watched her she would be either "trying" to be broody or eating and drinking. Then after a couple days she went into "full broody mode" and has been on them ever since. So I would give her a couple days.

Those eggs are fine. Especially where in the beginning stages. Day 1 or 2 I guess from what you describe.
I had a broody accidently get trapped off her nest for an entire work day, the coldest, rainy June day in Nova Scotia on day 11 and she still hatched 7 healthy chicks.

I'm feeling quite positive about things at the moment. After that first day (Saturday), she went into full broody mode. I have only seen her leave the nest once since then, though that doesn't mean she hasn't left when I was away from home for an hour here or there. When I saw her leave yesterday she was only off the nest for about 20 minutes. It's easy to monitor how much time she is off the eggs because she goes from zombie-like when on the nest to psycho chick when off, clucking constantly, fluffing her feathers, fanning her tail, and devouring all food in site at record speed! The rooster comes running and tries to have his way with her and she will have no part of him. I think I remember feeling the same way about my hubby in the delivery room....
big_smile.png

dont throw the eggs providing its not a really really cold day eggs can last up to ten hours with not been sat on once they have started to form i was worried when my hen had her first chick and didnt sit on her remainding egg but she came back in afternoon and sat on it and chicky was fine.

Back
Top Bottom