First time broody hen left eggs for hours

Chickeeta

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Salt Spring Island
I posted this message in the Chicken Behavior and Egglaying Section, but I think I am more likely to get a response here.

One of my year-old Australorps started to show broody behavior a few days ago. It's the first time for her... and for me. I set up a little "maternity suite" inside the coop and put 5 golf balls in there to lure her in. She moved in and I started collecting eggs from my other hens to put in the nest. She let me put the new eggs under her and I got the golf balls out when she left the nest that first day. The problems started when she left for food and bathroom break and didn't return to the nest. Instead she took a dust bath and stayed in the hole she made. I found her there after she had been off the nest for about 45 minutes. It took some doing, but I got her back to the coop and back to the nest and she settled down immediately. The eggs had been left for about an hour then. She sat on them for another couple of hours and then came out of the coop again, this time carrying a broken egg in her mouth! I was horrified thinking she had smashed all the eggs, but no, it was just one and I took it and threw it out. Meanwhile, she headed off to be with the rest of the flock. She stayed off the eggs for about 4 hours this time. I had given up on her, thinking it was her first time going broody and I couldn't force her to stay on the nest, but then she returned to the nest at 7 last night and she has not left since. My question is whether the eggs are likely to hatch since she left them for an hour and then for 4 hours. It was a hot day (for Canada!) and when she left, I shut the ventilation window in the coop so that it would be good and hot inside. Should I just remove those eggs and start again, or is there a good chance those will be OK?

Quote:
Yes, or just let her go about her business for a day or two and see if she is really really broody.

Thanks for the advice. It will take me a couple of days to collect new eggs to put under her and in the meantime I will keep an eye on her to make sure she has now switched into full broody mode.

I would say the eggs are still good. I had a hen do that for a couple days. About the time I was going to give up on her she decided to go full broody. I was going to pull the eggs but decided to leave her alone and let it go. She hatched all but one. And she was sitting on 8 eggs.
But for two days .. she would sit for a couple hours then roam for a few and did that for two days. Then she settled in.
It would be no different than her going and laying for a few days eggs before deciding she has a nest full and its time to set. I would not toss them, that is my opinion.

I would say the eggs are still good. I had a hen do that for a couple days. About the time I was going to give up on her she decided to go full broody. I was going to pull the eggs but decided to leave her alone and let it go. She hatched all but one. And she was sitting on 8 eggs.
But for two days .. she would sit for a couple hours then roam for a few and did that for two days. Then she settled in.
It would be no different than her going and laying for a few days eggs before deciding she has a nest full and its time to set. I would not toss them, that is my opinion.

I wouldn't toss them either.

Let your hen take care of it. It's really no great bother to you.
(a lot easier than an incubator!)
wink.png

just my 2 pesos worth,
smile.png

GOOD LUCK !!!
-Junkmanme-

I wouldn't toss them either. Hens leave the nest to do things more often than most of us think. I bet those eggs are just fine. My broodies leave their nests sometimes as long as an hour at a time, especially when it is really warm or hot outside.

Back
Top Bottom