First time chick mom here and just need general advice

Jenhansen

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2022
Rayville,La
Just bought six straight run chicks from Tractor supply. 3 breeds mixed together but I can identify one for certain. I have 11 adult hens, 1 adult rooster and 1 adolescent rooster already. They are obviously kept separate from the chicks with no issues so far. I’ve never raised chicks and need a bit of advice on what to expect and literally any advice towards best diet, anything specific that I might not know. Just any advice is very welcome and appreciated! The breeds I have already are Meat birds(they escaped a farm down the road and apparently my rooster called them here) 2 black Marans, one EE , big rooster is a barn mix, adolescent is a black Australorp, the chicks are Ancona, Jersey Giant, and Black austrlorps. Again thank you for any and all advice or tips! Pics attached are of the babies… they are absolutely not in my hoodie at all 🤣 sorry that is the best pictures I can get at the moment

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 14
FIRST, WELCOME TO BYC! I hope you find your time here as helpful and instructive as I have.

Second, for the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock (mixed breeds, genders, ages - such as yours), with typical backyard management practices I recommend feeding an All Flock/Flock Raiser-type crumble to all your birds, all their lives, with oyster shell, grit, and fresh clean water available in sperate dishes at all times (ok, you can skip the oyster for your hatchlings - they might peck at it or even eat some as they explore their world with their beaks, but they won't continue to consume it).

If you can't find All Flock/Flock Raiser, "Starter" or "Starter/Grower" is usually pretty close.

What you are looking for is an 18-20% Protein feed, fat around 3.5% +/-, Calcium around 1.5%+/-. Preferably with Methinine levels of at least 0.35%, Lysine 0.7%+, and Phosphorus of 0.6%. Would be nice if fiber is around 3.5% +/- as well.

Whether or not to feed medicated (meaning with Amprolium, here in the US, almost always) is a personal decision specific to your circumstances. But its much easier to find medicated starter on the shelf then medicated all flock. SImilarly as to any value you put on sales terms like "All Natural", "Non-Gmo", "Organic" or the absence of any particular ingredient(s), such as soy (which is getting an undeserved bad rap right now, in my view).

Integration is a weeks long process, involving "see and be seen" - there are a number of very good articles on it here on BYC, just a search away, and numerous posters happy to help out. Recommend beginning that process soon after the hatchlings are fully feathered and able to share (behind the safety of fencing) some of the outside space with your adult birds. and as always, "abundance is a social lubricant" - abundant space, abundant food and water sources, etc.

FIRST, WELCOME TO BYC! I hope you find your time here as helpful and instructive as I have.

Second, for the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock (mixed breeds, genders, ages - such as yours), with typical backyard management practices I recommend feeding an All Flock/Flock Raiser-type crumble to all your birds, all their lives, with oyster shell, grit, and fresh clean water available in sperate dishes at all times (ok, you can skip the oyster for your hatchlings - they might peck at it or even eat some as they explore their world with their beaks, but they won't continue to consume it).

If you can't find All Flock/Flock Raiser, "Starter" or "Starter/Grower" is usually pretty close.

What you are looking for is an 18-20% Protein feed, fat around 3.5% +/-, Calcium around 1.5%+/-. Preferably with Methinine levels of at least 0.35%, Lysine 0.7%+, and Phosphorus of 0.6%. Would be nice if fiber is around 3.5% +/- as well.

Whether or not to feed medicated (meaning with Amprolium, here in the US, almost always) is a personal decision specific to your circumstances. But its much easier to find medicated starter on the shelf then medicated all flock. SImilarly as to any value you put on sales terms like "All Natural", "Non-Gmo", "Organic" or the absence of any particular ingredient(s), such as soy (which is getting an undeserved bad rap right now, in my view).

Integration is a weeks long process, involving "see and be seen" - there are a number of very good articles on it here on BYC, just a search away, and numerous posters happy to help out. Recommend beginning that process soon after the hatchlings are fully feathered and able to share (behind the safety of fencing) some of the outside space with your adult birds. and as always, "abundance is a social lubricant" - abundant space, abundant food and water sources, etc.
That is all sooo very helpful! Thank you so much! I will absolutely look into feed with those percentages as soon as I’m off work today! I already have the grit and oyster shells in separate dishes for my adults to eat as needed. I did a whole bunch of research when I first got my hens and rooster to make sure I was giving them the best possible life. They all free range daily and I’m loving that because they love to forage with me and it’s my favorite activity when I get off work. I did get the chicks medicated food because everything I was finding said it was ok to do so. Also if anyone has any information on water additives? I seen the probiotics and electrolytes and was curious on if I needed to add any to the water? Seriously thank you so much for all this helpful information! I definitely appreciate it! Anything to make my whole flock happy and healthy and living the best possible life! I’m also loving all the chick cuddles!

Attachments

• C88518DE-0BE4-4CB7-A4E1-C737397F52CD.jpeg
    C88518DE-0BE4-4CB7-A4E1-C737397F52CD.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 10
That is all sooo very helpful! Thank you so much! I will absolutely look into feed with those percentages as soon as I’m off work today! I already have the grit and oyster shells in separate dishes for my adults to eat as needed. I did a whole bunch of research when I first got my hens and rooster to make sure I was giving them the best possible life. They all free range daily and I’m loving that because they love to forage with me and it’s my favorite activity when I get off work. I did get the chicks medicated food because everything I was finding said it was ok to do so. Also if anyone has any information on water additives? I seen the probiotics and electrolytes and was curious on if I needed to add any to the water? Seriously thank you so much for all this helpful information! I definitely appreciate it! Anything to make my whole flock happy and healthy and living the best possible life! I’m also loving all the chick cuddles!

I don't add anything to my water, unless I know there is a need. When I hatch ducks, for instance, i add B-vitamin booster to the water because ducks need lots of niacin (as compared to chickens), and its much easier to ensure they are drinking - particularly first days after hatch - than it is to ensure they are eating.

Some people swwear by ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) with live culture ("the mother"). I don't. ACV adjusts water chemistry, selecting for "bugs" (bacteria, yeasts, etc) which favor a more acidic environment - if you don't know how acidic your water is to start with, or even if its a problem, why start playing chemist? The live culture is simply a way of adding pre and pro-biotics which are demonstrated to be successful in that (vinegar) environment, not necessarily the environment of the chicken's gut. tl;dr? There's something to it, under some curcumstances - but if you don't have those circumstances...

Some people feed live (active culture) unflavored yogurt, same reasons.

I do tend to feed my chicks with a wet mash - basically, a bit of water added to the feed till it takes on an oatmeal like consistency. Helps with waste (a little), and anecdotally, I've had fewer issues with pasty-butt. But it can stink pretty quick if you are in a high humidity high heat environment as it begins to ferment. Its not a fill a big dish and forget sort of method if you have a sensitive nose.

I commend you for doing your research first and asking good questions. Tere's something to be said for jumping in head first, but its a bit suspect when other's lives depend upon your success. Glad you took the time to check the water first!

I don't add anything to my water, unless I know there is a need. When I hatch ducks, for instance, i add B-vitamin booster to the water because ducks need lots of niacin (as compared to chickens), and its much easier to ensure they are drinking - particularly first days after hatch - than it is to ensure they are eating.

Some people swwear by ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) with live culture ("the mother"). I don't. ACV adjusts water chemistry, selecting for "bugs" (bacteria, yeasts, etc) which favor a more acidic environment - if you don't know how acidic your water is to start with, or even if its a problem, why start playing chemist? The live culture is simply a way of adding pre and pro-biotics which are demonstrated to be successful in that (vinegar) environment, not necessarily the environment of the chicken's gut. tl;dr? There's something to it, under some curcumstances - but if you don't have those circumstances...

Some people feed live (active culture) unflavored yogurt, same reasons.

I do tend to feed my chicks with a wet mash - basically, a bit of water added to the feed till it takes on an oatmeal like consistency. Helps with waste (a little), and anecdotally, I've had fewer issues with pasty-butt. But it can stink pretty quick if you are in a high humidity high heat environment as it begins to ferment. Its not a fill a big dish and forget sort of method if you have a sensitive nose.

I commend you for doing your research first and asking good questions. Tere's something to be said for jumping in head first, but its a bit suspect when other's lives depend upon your success. Glad you took the time to check the water first!
Ok awesome! Thank you! I love all animals and I wasn’t intending on even having chickens, they literally just landed in my lap but I also take responsibility for all my animals so I try to do the best I can with all of them. I seen all these additives and honestly no one at tractor supply is much help when it comes to chickens so I just figured I would ask the experts on here. I definitely do not want to give them anything they don’t need. I have been checking them religiously to make sure pasty-butt isn’t an issue and if it arises I can handle it quickly. Oh thank you! I will definitely try to make them some mash. I had Covid last year in august and my smell and taste still isn’t back so smell wise nothing bothers me lol. I do live in Louisiana so humidity is horrible all year but I will just feed them the mash when i am able to sit with them while they eat and remove it after that way I don’t even take a chance of it fermenting and harming them.

Back
Top Bottom