First Time Chick Parents, Spring 2016

I've never been so glad to be pooped on. One of my ladies had a clogged vent that got noticed today. I'm crossing my fingers she is in the clear now that things are moving (slowly), but there appears to be a lot of backup. Does anyone have any idea when the risk of pasty butt is passed?

I've never been so glad to be pooped on. One of my ladies had a clogged vent that got noticed today. I'm crossing my fingers she is in the clear now that things are moving (slowly), but there appears to be a lot of backup. Does anyone have any idea when the risk of pasty butt is passed?

I've got a cat with some neuro issues in the back end (spinal injury as a kitten) and she gets clogged up frequently, so I am totally with you on the "Yay! Poop!" bandwagon...

My chicks had severe shipping stress when they arrived. I think I finally started watching their faces instead of their butts around two weeks old. It probably depends on if they have additional stressors though (such as power outages causing chilling, dog/cat gets into the brooder and causes havoc, etc.)

I've got a cat with some neuro issues in the back end (spinal injury as a kitten) and she gets clogged up frequently, so I am totally with you on the "Yay! Poop!" bandwagon...

My chicks had severe shipping stress when they arrived. I think I finally started watching their faces instead of their butts around two weeks old. It probably depends on if they have additional stressors though (such as power outages causing chilling, dog/cat gets into the brooder and causes havoc, etc.)

I have a feeling it was stress induced or from a change in feed while they were with a friend over the weekend.

Also, poop indicates the ladies have been roosting on the top edge of the tub... I finally found a good use for the spare window screen we've had laying around.

Our chicks are just now 4 weeks old and the ducks are almost two weeks. It has been in the 60s here during the day so we have been letting them out into a makeshift run during the day and putting them back in the brooder at night. I was worried it would be too cold for them but they have been loving it! They can't wait to get out to the pen in the mornings.

I just got 8 chicks from my co-op the day before yesterday:
2 Ameraucana's
2 White Leghorns
2 Red sex links
1 Black sex link
1 australorp
Yesterday i got 6 white leghorn pullet chicks from tractor supply. Hey, has anybody have any white leghorns with a few black feathers? The 2 leghorns i got from co-op both have black on their white fluff. Feathers are coming in and one just has white feathers and the other one has black and white feathers. I'm guessing still a white leghorn??
idunno.gif
Maybe a california leghorn? don't know . . .

Newbie chick mom here too! I bought 8 chicks (4 buff Orpington and 4 Australorps) about 4 weeks ago at the local ranch store.

I lost one the first night
1f622.png
, I think it was a clogged vent but didn't realize it soon enough. The other 7 are doing great and getting big fast!

Should be done with the coop on Sunday. Can't wait for move-in day!
1f601.png

Hi hope I can chime in. Sorry I'm not new to chickens but my hatch date is April 11th. I'm still just as excited and love to be a part of this thread. I am doing something new though. I'm going to brood with a thermostat controlled heating matt. :) Brand new way for me.Let's all share experiences when our chicks come :). I might even be able to help out a bit if any questions? I just can't wait for April!! Hubby is building a larger coop and run! I'm really looking forward to the new coop!! I'm expecting 7 barred Rock hens and one suprise layer. I have Silkies now.

I just got 8 barred rock chicks today.

Last edited:
Oh, you are so very welcome!  I'm glad it's working as well for you as it has for me and for so many others!  The peace of mind alone is worth it, isn't it?  :)

Can anyone recommend a heating pad brand to build a Mama cave for about 8 chicks?

I had a small run last year in July, but am raising my new girls and hopefully a couple of boys this spring. I have 1 week olds and 4 week olds. The first summer I did this, I had six. I lost one to the neighbors dog in January and started getting chicken fever. I have 52 growing in my brooders right now and am expecting another 15 in two weeks. I am also expecting another run in July..... Cause, as @melaniekemp said I am a-chick-ded! LOL! I am looking forward and am gonna post a few pics for you all of my girls and boys cooking now!

Back
Top Bottom