First time dealing with a Broody hen

Move her in the dark of night, and before you give her eggs. Fingers crossed. While it will take 21 days for you, she does not count, she just waits for something to happen so if it takes a day or two to set this up don't worry about it.

However, I am a believer in keeping her with the flock, make sure if you lock her in, to let her out to terrorize the layers. She will look like a beach ball. She will generally stay off the nest for around 15-30 minutes eating, pooping and drinking. Then be sure and check she gets on the right nest when she goes back in.

Then when she brings out the chicks - every layer is already used to giving her room. She will introduce the chicks and they are accepted in the flock.

Oh - mark the eggs as the layers will contribute to the cause if they can, and too many eggs leads to very poor hatches.

Mrs K

Move her in the dark of night, and before you give her eggs. Fingers crossed. While it will take 21 days for you, she does not count, she just waits for something to happen so if it takes a day or two to set this up don't worry about it.

However, I am a believer in keeping her with the flock, make sure if you lock her in, to let her out to terrorize the layers. She will look like a beach ball. She will generally stay off the nest for around 15-30 minutes eating, pooping and drinking. Then be sure and check she gets on the right nest when she goes back in.

Then when she brings out the chicks - every layer is already used to giving her room. She will introduce the chicks and they are accepted in the flock.

Oh - mark the eggs as the layers will contribute to the cause if they can, and too many eggs leads to very poor hatches.

Mrs K
So there will be no issues if i leave her in the coop with the others?
She looked like a beach ball earlier when she came off the nest to let the others lay. But she went right back in as soon as they were done. She ate/drank during this time.
I already planned to mark the eggs. As
She lets me stroke her neck and makes tiny little clucks.
Because if i can leave her i can get her eggs by tomorrow

I finally have my first broody hen after 3 years with chickens! I'm so excited! I would like to follow your experience so I hope you post updates. :) My girl has been acting kind of like she wanted to be broody for the past week, but it wasn't until today that she seemed to decide for sure. She sat pretty much all day after sleeping in the nesting box. I had to remove her finally early evening because today was the second dose day of my flock deworming. After I gave her the meds, I put her down by the water and she drank some and then proceeded to walk around the yard and dust bathe. I was getting worried because she didn't look like she was going to go back on her nest, but after about 45 minutes, she finally did. I'm not 100% sure my eggs are even fertile because my rooster is a little Polish guy, but... We'll see. 🤞

I finally have my first broody hen after 3 years with chickens! I'm so excited! I would like to follow your experience so I hope you post updates. :) My girl has been acting kind of like she wanted to be broody for the past week, but it wasn't until today that she seemed to decide for sure. She sat pretty much all day after sleeping in the nesting box. I had to remove her finally early evening because today was the second dose day of my flock deworming. After I gave her the meds, I put her down by the water and she drank some and then proceeded to walk around the yard and dust bathe. I was getting worried because she didn't look like she was going to go back on her nest, but after about 45 minutes, she finally did. I'm not 100% sure my eggs are even fertile because my rooster is a little Polish guy, but... We'll see. 🤞
Its been 3 years for me to! Hope the eggs are fertile!

Well there are pros and cons to both. Staying with the flock, her position in the flock will rise. However, the layers are more than willing to contribute eggs to the cause, and you have to remove them daily.

Sometimes if hens try and get in the same nest as her - they break eggs. So you need to consider that. I have moved a broody hen, and had her move back to where she wanted to lay. I am pretty laid back and do not count my chicks before they hatch, so I tend to let them do it the way they want.

The last one this spring, I did make a nest on the floor for the layers. They did not want to get close to Mrs. Feathers in the nesting box.

Good luck, longest 21 days ever.

Mrs K

Well there are pros and cons to both. Staying with the flock, her position in the flock will rise. However, the layers are more than willing to contribute eggs to the cause, and you have to remove them daily.

Sometimes if hens try and get in the same nest as her - they break eggs. So you need to consider that. I have moved a broody hen, and had her move back to where she wanted to lay. I am pretty laid back and do not count my chicks before they hatch, so I tend to let them do it the way they want.

The last one this spring, I did make a nest on the floor for the layers. They did not want to get close to Mrs. Feathers in the nesting box.

Good luck, longest 21 days ever.

Mrs K
Ok thank you! Im thinking about maybe leaving her in the box. Collecting the unfertile eggs daily. And then waiting 21 days[ i dont know if i can do that]. I know that i cant say every egg will hatch. Luckily this is my more friendly chicken she pets me pet her and i can feel the eggs but if i grab one then its attack time for her😂

Don't disturb her every day - about every three days is often enough. If you disturb them too often, you can break the trance.

It will seem like she is not eating or drinking enough. But she has put on some fat, and really the broody state is almost like a hibernation.

Just in case, look around and see if you can get a couple of fresh chicks (maybe a specific breed you have been wanting?) to come in very near the 21 days. That way if nothing hatches, you can slip a couple of chicks under her, and she will raise them.

How many eggs did you set? A large full size bird, can set on 12, but I have better hatches with 8-10.

Do check the coop often, I have had a hen set perfectly for days, then for some unknown reason, get on the wrong nest. If that happens, even if the eggs feel cool to the touch, just put her back on them. They will hatch right on time. Once the heart begins to beat, the eggs themselves produce enough heat to keep them alive for a couple of hours.

Mrs K

Don't disturb her every day - about every three days is often enough. If you disturb them too often, you can break the trance.

It will seem like she is not eating or drinking enough. But she has put on some fat, and really the broody state is almost like a hibernation.

Just in case, look around and see if you can get a couple of fresh chicks (maybe a specific breed you have been wanting?) to come in very near the 21 days. That way if nothing hatches, you can slip a couple of chicks under her, and she will raise them.

How many eggs did you set? A large full size bird, can set on 12, but I have better hatches with 8-10.

Do check the coop often, I have had a hen set perfectly for days, then for some unknown reason, get on the wrong nest. If that happens, even if the eggs feel cool to the touch, just put her back on them. They will hatch right on time. Once the heart begins to beat, the eggs themselves produce enough heat to keep them alive for a couple of hours.

Mrs K
Thank you for this information!
I have a coop camera so i can easily watch her without disturbing her.
She does get off to eat and drink a little. And i noticed her moving the eggs around this morning.
I plan to set 10. But i will definitely look for chicks just in case.
They never use the other nesting box so i think i will be good there but ill definitely make sure to check ever few hours on the camera!

Back
Top Bottom