First time dealing with a Broody hen

Can i use sharpie to mark the eggs or should i use something else?
Edit:Ive heard it can be bad. I can also use crayon, and pencil. As i have some pencils that are really good.

Your other hens that didn't lay could be beginning to molt; im finding more and more discarded feathers scattered around daily. Her broodiness shouldn't affect their egg-laying UNLESS their broody hormones are kicking in too. She sounds plenty broody enough to sucessfully incubate and hatch chicks if you want her to do so.
We tried so many things when our Black Austerlorp was broody - 4 different times since Spring. We took her out of the hen house and she'd run right back inside, making noises like Predator - it was scary! Eventually had to put her in chicken jail - a large dog cage with a cover on top (so the other chicks wouldn't jump up and poop on her and elevated off the ground. We gave her plenty of food/water/treats and at night, allowed her back in the hen house. We did it for 3 days and she was done being broody. She did this 4 more times since May, but we've had about a month where she's out with the rest of her gals and seems happy!

Can i use sharpie to mark the eggs or should i use something else?
Edit:Ive heard it can be bad. I can also use crayon, and pencil. As i have some pencils that are really good.
I use pencil to mark mine.

If you've decided to keep her in the coop with the others, be sure and do some research on what to expect when she hatches. With my first broody, I left her in the nest box, and the brooding part went swimmingly. It was when she started hatching that I realized some parts of my coop were not really chick-hatching friendly. I ended up having to finish the eggs in the incubator, and if I ever go with a broody again, I'll do a dog crate in the big coop ro put her in a smaller coop.

I use pencil to mark mine.

If you've decided to keep her in the coop with the others, be sure and do some research on what to expect when she hatches. With my first broody, I left her in the nest box, and the brooding part went swimmingly. It was when she started hatching that I realized some parts of my coop were not really chick-hatching friendly. I ended up having to finish the eggs in the incubator, and if I ever go with a broody again, I'll do a dog crate in the big coop ro put her in a smaller coop.
Ok thanks! I have 2 that are broody the only thing that isnt chick friendly would be the ramp/tall coop. Which i can move her once they hatch if needed.

Our buff Orpington is acting broody; she is 15 months old so this is a first. She is spending a lot of time in the nesting box, growls and puffs out her feathers a lot and pecks at the other hens if they try to come near the nesting box. We do not have roosters but someone offered to give us a couple of fertilized eggs for her to try to hatch. My question is, how broody does she have to be for that to be successful? If we take her out of the nesting box and put her in the yard to free range she will stay out for about 30 min. before trying to get back to her box. She does that a couple of times a day. She is sleeping in the nesting box at night.
Also…none of our other four hens laid today which is very odd. Could a broody hen effect them in that way?
I don't think a broody hen will effect the other girls. On your Buff Orphington, get ready , they go broody regularly! I have 2 and love them dearly, but for layers I won't get any more! I gave one of mine 12ceggs to sit on, she should be hatching them off on the 18th!!

I don't think a broody hen will effect the other girls. On your Buff Orphington, get ready , they go broody regularly! I have 2 and love them dearly, but for layers I won't get any more! I gave one of mine 12ceggs to sit on, she should be hatching them off on the 18th!!
Mines a fairly good layer. But this is her first time brooding so im sure she will do it more.

Our buff Orpington is acting broody; she is 15 months old so this is a first. She is spending a lot of time in the nesting box, growls and puffs out her feathers a lot and pecks at the other hens if they try to come near the nesting box. We do not have roosters but someone offered to give us a couple of fertilized eggs for her to try to hatch. My question is, how broody does she have to be for that to be successful? If we take her out of the nesting box and put her in the yard to free range she will stay out for about 30 min. before trying to get back to her box. She does that a couple of times a day. She is sleeping in the nesting box at night.
Also…none of our other four hens laid today which is very odd. Could a broody hen effect them in that way?
She sounds perfectly broody!! When I have a first time broody, I let her sit for up to 5 days to make sure but your girl sounds ready for the fertile eggs. If you don't have a separate area for her nest, mark the fertile eggs with a pencil and check the nest when she takes her daily break so you can remove any eggs laid in the nest by other hens. If you intend to raise your own chicks, try to get a permanent broody pen set up before the next time! It will make life so much easier! And, congratulations :thumbsup

Hi!
Hens at the beginning of laying will lay 20 minutes later each day. They may have come to the end of their day and will begin again earlier the next day. Depending on your natural sunlight, they may have entered the molt season.

Back
Top Bottom