First time doe won't leave nest box

kmj_smib

Hatching
Jun 24, 2018
HI I'm new to breeding rabbits. My doe had babies lat night day 31. She did everything right but the two born first were DOA the 3rd was breech after about 40 mons of her trying to get it out herself her labor stopped and we had to help her get it out. We finally got it out about 1hr later. All babies are dead. She has only left her nest box a couple times for no more that 1-2 mins. She has eaten oats and lettus and hay but she will only drink water off my hand. She seems fine otherwise.

I'm wondering why she won't leave the nest box. Could she have more in her could she go into labor again tonight? She has mostly been just sitting in there and cleans her self every now and then. But no about 20hrs after her first baby she seems to be fixing the nest and still won't leave it.

Can you take her to a vet? They’d be able to check for retained babies with a simple X-ray.
I don’t really know about rabbits specifically, but for most animals, stalled labor is life-threatening.
I learned a long time ago that it’s always good to trust your gut..... if you have a nagging feeling that something’s not right, there’s usually a very good reason.

Can you take her to a vet? They’d be able to check for retained babies with a simple X-ray.
I don’t really know about rabbits specifically, but for most animals, stalled labor is life-threatening.
I learned a long time ago that it’s always good to trust your gut..... if you have a nagging feeling that something’s not right, there’s usually a very good reason.
I know nothing about rabbits, but I totally agree.

It's actually pretty easy to check for stalled labor in a rabbit. This may sound a little mean to those of us that have been through the labor process, but . . . give her belly a squeeze, like you would if you were palpating to look for babies. If she is still in labor, this will usually cause her body to respond with a contraction. If there are actually babies inside, you will definitely be able to feel them (they most likely would be dead by now anyway if you are concerned about possibly causing harm). You will also recognize a contraction; nothing else a rabbit does tenses muscles to that extent. Of course, if you have access to a vet that sees small animals (many don't), you could take her for an x-ray, but be prepared - a lot of vets charge a shockingly high fee to see "exotics."

Sometimes does will go back into labor and push out a dead fetus, even a couple of days later - I have seen this happen, even with does with live litters. I have also encountered a few fetal mummies.

Three kits is a pretty small litter; what breed and age is this doe? Three would be "par for the course" for something like a Netherland Dwarf, but DOA and stuck kits aren't - these sorts of issues aren't common in young, vigorous does.

As to why the doe is sitting in the box - sometimes they do that. A lot of does will continue to pull fur and add to the nest for days after their litters are born, especially in cool weather. She may just think it's a comfortable place to sit; this can be a real nuisance to deal with when the doe has a litter (though, if the doe doesn't crush the babies by sitting on them, their constant attempts to nurse will often teach a doe to go sit elsewhere).

I hope all turns out well for your doe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom