First Time Egg Candler Scared!

I agree with you, this might not be the best time to go into eggtopsies. Since it isn't a real word you can spell it as you see fit.

It won't hurt to leave them overnight, if it makes your mom feel better. But put the fat end of the egg to your ear and tap on it. If you don't hear a scratch, or a cheep, or a clicking sound, then there isn't a chick that can be rescued. If you want to be 100% sure, just make a small hole in the middle of the big end, then chip it back until the hole is the size of a nickel or quarter and you can see the chick inside.

When you make the small hole, if there is liquid, just stop there.

I think you've done a very good job at being a responsible poultry raiser. It's not all fun and games, and it's truly life and death. You learn a lot, and help some beautiful new lives into the world if all goes well.

Last edited:
I understand, and I want to throw the eggs out but truthfully(You may have heard me say this before) I am only 13, and my mom doesn't understand, and she thinks it would be horrible to throw out an egg that could hatch. Also if you read my thread that said my kids where slamming doors that was my brother mad at me :).
I can understand your mom's feelings, usually that's my train of thought too. I can't bare the thought of throwing out a live one, that's one reason I do eggtopsies. If I don't I will just wonder if I threw out a live chick. I don't think you have any life in them, I just want you to be prepared in case you did.

I dont think I want to do eggtopseys(however you spell that) can someone explain how?What happens if they are alive?
That's perfectly fine if you don't. I think it's a very good educational process, but I don't think it's for everyone. All it is is opening the egg, (I always recommend starting from the air cell, just in case.) and looking to see what position and the circumstances around the death . It can answer questions, or it can leave you with more than if you hadn't. If you'd rather just toss them, that's perfectly acceptable too.

I may try one tomorrow, will see if there is any progress. I taped the egg with my finger three times each a listened all three time I heard nothing. Its just weird to me why 5 fully developed chicks would die(out of 8)? Any ideas?

I know you were busy with your chicks, but at the same time I had 21 eggs in my hatcher. Only 19 were alive going in, two were too dark shelled to be sure so I put them in anyhow.

Out of that I got 8 healthy chicks but I had to break all but one out of the shell. The other 11 died before they even pipped the shell, and they were perfectly developed. As much as I hate to say it, it happens. We humans are not perfect at incubation. We do make some really nice machines that help, but even they are not foolproof. And for those of us using older or more basic technology, perhaps that we have any hatch is the bigger miracle.

If you choose to break them open, you may find that the membranes are wrapped tightly around the chick, preventing the pip. Or you may see a foot at the membrane, instead of a wing and the back of the head. That's why "eggtopsies" can be valuable, they may help you find clues to what happened. Or sometimes you may just see an absolutely perfect chick that was properly positioned, not too dry, had pipped internally, and just never pipped the shell. That can be heartbreaking.

What you can do is keep accurate records of your incubation temperatures and humidity, and watch the air cell development, and when you have a very successful hatch, model the next incubation after what worked for you. Over time, your hatches should get better.

I have a great success rate at incubation to lockdown, but from there on out I still need to work on it.

Chip and Mic are not definitely eating and drinking. And Ted is drinking all by himself saw him trying to eat pine shavings but no food yet (doesnt mean he hasnt why I wasnt looking).

I am guessing you meant "now" definitely eating and drinking. That's great! Chicks don't always have a very strong hunger right after hatching. You can gauge their appetite by looking at their profile from the side. If they have a pot belly behind the legs, they will just taste things. But if they lost their yolk, or were dehydrated in the shell, the belly will be tucked up and they will need to be encouraged to take food and water.

Mine are a day old now and are still just curious about food and water, not really eating or driinking.

Last edited:
I know you were busy with your chicks, but at the same time I had 21 eggs in my hatcher. Only 19 were alive going in, two were too dark shelled to be sure so I put them in anyhow.

Out of that I got 8 healthy chicks but I had to break all but one out of the shell. The other 11 died before they even pipped the shell, and they were perfectly developed. As much as I hate to say it, it happens. We humans are not perfect at incubation. We do make some really nice machines that help, but even they are not foolproof. And for those of us using older or more basic technology, perhaps that we have any hatch is the bigger miracle.

If you choose to break them open, you may find that the membranes are wrapped tightly around the chick, preventing the pip. Or you may see a foot at the membrane, instead of a wing and the back of the head. That's why "eggtopsies" can be valuable, they may help you find clues to what happened. Or sometimes you may just see an absolutely perfect chick that was properly positioned, not too dry, had pipped internally, and just never pipped the shell. That can be heartbreaking.

What you can do is keep accurate records of your incubation temperatures and humidity, and watch the air cell development, and when you have a very successful hatch, model the next incubation after what worked for you. Over time, your hatches should get better.

I have a great success rate at incubation to lockdown, but from there on out I still need to work on it.
Great advice, my air cells are what I think prevented the hatching so then when they started getting past due date they died from the heat/exhaustion. This is just what I think because my eggs were shipped and had some wonky air cell shapes and sizes. I have 3 basically healthy chicks and thats fine with me. I just want to thank AmyLynn, WalnutHill, Scflock, WV, and I know there are others that have helped me along the way I just forgot your name :). You guys are miracle workers. I will keep you posted.

I've been away all evening. Had to catch up. Cole, I dont remember reading that you were only 13 (knew you were still in school) but that makes me even more impressed with you and the job you have done. And I'm glad your parents have encouraged you. That's very cool in my book. I think we have all been happy to be of some help to you, and to share this ordeal with you. You have been a pleasure to deal with. You write well, listen well, and seem like a fine young man. (tell your mom I said so lol)

Congrats on your new adorable silkies! What are your chicken plans from here? Are you gonna hatch another batch?

I've been away all evening. Had to catch up. Cole, I dont remember reading that you were only 13 (knew you were still in school) but that makes me even more impressed with you and the job you have done. And I'm glad your parents have encouraged you. That's very cool in my book. I think we have all been happy to be of some help to you, and to share this ordeal with you. You have been a pleasure to deal with. You write well, listen well, and seem like a fine young man. (tell your mom I said so lol)

Congrats on your new adorable silkies! What are your chicken plans from here? Are you gonna hatch another batch?
I was figuring 16, but I do think I vaguely remember him saying 13 after he said that. I distinctly remembering him making the comment about kids, cause I had a ??? moment. I think I actually said outloud, kids? I thought you were one yourself.....lol
wink.png
It is impressive the knowledge and understanding, and the likeable personality he has for a 13 year old.

Back
Top Bottom