First Time Egg Candler Scared!

Gosh I love you guys!!! Thank you for asking... I am obsessing alone without you! LOL One Araucana hatched which is so lonely that I worry about it. When I look through the window and speak softly, she looks up for a rescue. But she is assisting the only Houdan egg to hatch!!! He/she is a slow worker, so this smart, helpful Araucana started pipping, too. I think it is adorable... is this ok? Normal?

The other eggs that candled "yes" for development a few days ago are doing nothing. I'm working on my patience.

Oh, another thing... the wire mess curled quite high after the rotator was removed. My little chickie got underneath! Luckily, I was there, freed her, and put a weight on it. I used a metal wine stopped... the incubator is on the bar... it is shaped like a Christmas tree and the chick is fascinated! Hope I did the right thing...

Lockdown? New DIY bator? You've been holding out on us... or I haven't paid very close attention...
wink.png

I didn't get the original eggs that I was hoping for, but got some on Memorial Day, so its day 8. Started with 14 bantam cochin, 4 d'uccle and 5 polish. I got them from a young gal about a half hour from my house. Unfortunately, it seems her roo isn't keeping up! After last night's candle, 7 of the cochin are clear, 2 of the d'uccle are clear and 1 polish is clear. 2 other polish appear to have started but probably stopped, don't see much movement and the veins are thin. But I'm leaving them for a while. Also one cochin looks weak but everything else seems to be developing well. I think these will be my final incubation (at least for this year... I hope I can contain myself!). Chicken math hits hard... lol
I had been planning a 10 day trip that covered over 3k miles so I didn't have time to take pics. Before I left I wanted to build an incubator so that the eggs could turn while I was gone and go into lockdown when I got back so time was tight. I found an old automatic egg turner for $25 and I had a big styrofoam shipping box and an old reptile thermostat so I turned it into an incubator for $16+ turner $25 = $41. I wanted to test it before I really posted about it. It's ugly. Frankenbator ugly.

The good news is that it works perfectly so far. I set the eggs and the humidity is 35%. The turner works great. I put it on lockdown yesterday and put two cups of water in there and humidity is at 65%. The temp has been steady the whole incubation every time I checked it. I assume it went well while I was gone. Now that I think about it I think I went into lockdown a day early. We shall see how it goes.

He's been going incognito on us....lol
The eggs are just a barnyard mix with sexlinks, austrolorps and RIR rooster. And the kid said there is a bantam rooster of some sort running around. Whatever the case they need to step it up because half of them were not fertile.
hmm.png

A few fun pics from the trip to Missouri.

Gosh I love you guys!!! Thank you for asking... I am obsessing alone without you! LOL One Araucana hatched which is so lonely that I worry about it. When I look through the window and speak softly, she looks up for a rescue. But she is assisting the only Houdan egg to hatch!!! He/she is a slow worker, so this smart, helpful Araucana started pipping, too. I think it is adorable... is this ok? Normal?

The other eggs that candled "yes" for development a few days ago are doing nothing. I'm working on my patience.

Oh, another thing... the wire mess curled quite high after the rotator was removed. My little chickie got underneath! Luckily, I was there, freed her, and put a weight on it. I used a metal wine stopped... the incubator is on the bar... it is shaped like a Christmas tree and the chick is fascinated! Hope I did the right thing...

Play this for the slow hatcher:
0.jpg

I had been planning a 10 day trip that covered over 3k miles so I didn't have time to take pics. Before I left I wanted to build an incubator so that the eggs could turn while I was gone and go into lockdown when I got back so time was tight. I found an old automatic egg turner for $25 and I had a big styrofoam shipping box and an old reptile thermostat so I turned it into an incubator for $16+ turner $25 = $41. I wanted to test it before I really posted about it. It's ugly. Frankenbator ugly.

The good news is that it works perfectly so far. I set the eggs and the humidity is 35%. The turner works great. I put it on lockdown yesterday and put two cups of water in there and humidity is at 65%. The temp has been steady the whole incubation every time I checked it. I assume it went well while I was gone. Now that I think about it I think I went into lockdown a day early. We shall see how it goes.

The eggs are just a barnyard mix with sexlinks, austrolorps and RIR rooster. And the kid said there is a bantam rooster of some sort running around. Whatever the case they need to step it up because half of them were not fertile.
hmm.png

A few fun pics from the trip to Missouri.

That there's a good size snapper. Cool pics!

I just stopped by IFA to get a water dispenser for my meat chickens. Ended up with 4 ameraucana chicks. I'm sick people. I can't stop. I'm going to breed them to my FBCM so that I can get OEs.

Back
Top Bottom